just looking for some quick advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Number68

Reaction score
this was not my first brew by any means, but it's been a year or so since I made anything, and in actuality, i've only done 3, one of which was a BIAB partial mash which failed epically. this was an extract w/ specialty that my lhbs helped me put together from some old byo magazines.

expected OG was 1.065-1.068

4lb amber DME
3lb light lme
1lb wheat dme
2oz special B
10.5aau perle hops (bittering, and yes my lhbs knew their aau)
.3oz perle (flavor)
.35 goldings
.11oz star anise
.04oz seeds of paradise (cracked)
.42oz bitter orange peel
.17oz sweet orange peel
.14oz cinnamon
.11oz ginger root (using fresh)
.75tsp irish moss
wyeast 3522

this is what i did:

in 5.25gal

recipe called for steeping the special B at 155 for 30min. I messed up, and steeped at 150 instead, by the time I realized, it was 20min in, but the remaining 10 were at 155.

added my extracts

45min boil

bittering perle 45min
flavor perle, bitter orange 20min
irish moss 10min
seeds of paradise and star anise 5min
because I used a cinnamon stick instead of powdered, added it at 1min, recipe said 0min
sweet orange and goldings 0min

chilled to 80* with my chiller, racked, took my OG reading, then pitched wlp550 @ 77*

now, my questions are:
recipe said to steep the grains and everything in 20oz of water, that seems ridiculous to me. I did a full boil, and ended up with 5gal right on the dot.

the estimated OG was 1.065-1.068, I had a corrected reading of 1.062. why would this be lower than expected? I did notice that I had a small amount of extract scorch on the bottom of the pot, any cause for concern there?

and when I was sanitizing my airlock and fermenter lid, I splashed some star-san (and actually some vodka, from inside the airlock) into the wort, anything I should worry about?

I just want to get my procedures down, my roommates and I were talking about getting this homebrewing thing down to a science, and get a pipeline going so we don't really have to buy beer any longer,etc.

thanks a bunch guys

I am more of an all-grain brewer, i havent brewed extract in about a year, but I can answer most of these questions with certainty. I am not entirely sure what the benefit in steeping your specialty grains in a smaller amount of water would be, so if you steeped them in the smaller amount, that's fine, and if you steeped them in the full volume, that is probably okay too.... at least not detrimental.
As for your OG, you werent too far off, so I wouldn't sweat it. The couple points could have been due to your steeping temperatures. Obviously the point of steeping is to extract enzymes from the grains themselves, and there is no magic on/off switch on the grains that turns on when you hit a certain temperature. Therefore, a lower steeping temperature will still extract enzymes, just not as quickly.
The scorched LME at the bottom of your kettle shouldnt hurt your beer too much, it may give it a kind of burnt taste, but depending on how much there was, it may have very little affect on the beer.
StarSan will not hurt the beer at all. Even when you're bottling/kegging, you can leave StarSan bubbles, or even a little bit of the liquid and it wont hurt your beer in the slightest... after all, its sanitary! As for the vodka, I assume you didnt knock the bottle over and pour several ounces in, so you wont even notice it.

As far as I know, specialty grains in a PM are for color and flavor only, as specialty grains lack the enzymes required for starch conversion. All your fermentable sugars are coming from the extract, not the specialty grains. As such, your steeping temperature should have no effect on your OG.

One frequent cause of OGs being off is insufficient mixing after topping off, but since you didn't top off, this can't be your issue. I have to imagine that your low OG is due to either your slight scorching, or leaving a little of your extract in the container.

Everything else looks pretty good. I would tend to want to pitch at a lower temp, but depending on the yeast, you are probably ok (I don't know the temp ranges for the two yeasts you mentioned off the top of my head.).

And, as stated above, no worries about vodka or Starsan in your brew. You will not notice any difference for an amount of the ounce or so you have in your airlock.

You also may want to look up late extract additions, as this can help reduce some of the problems resulting from LME darkening or "twanging" your beer.

Hope that helps. Oh, and disclaimer: I haven't done a ton of extract brewing, but I have done some, and read a ton about it on here. Take what I say with a grain of salt, and maybe wait for confirmation from a more experienced extract brewer.

the yeast is a belgian ale yeast, said optimum pitching temps were 70-75, with fement temps 68-75. It's happily humming along at 67 right now (So says the thermometer on the side of my fermenter) which seems good to me

Latest posts

Back