It's coming out the airlock! Is this ok???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xaphoeous

Reaction score
Hey everyone, this might sound noobesque, but I have some DFH 60 minute IPA clone in the primary for about 19 hours now. I just got home from work and checked on it and it's blowing krausen out of the airlock. It's definitely the more vigorous fermentation I've ever seen.

I topped off to 5 gallons in a 6.5 gallon bucket. Rehydrated my Nottingham yeast in 85 degree water for 20 minutes, then slowly brought it to the temp of the wort (72F) by adding a turkey baster of wort every 3 minutes. Pitched into the wort at 72F and put the bucket in a room that stays about 65F.

I assume all is well, but do I need to take that airlock off of there and clean it out and replace with a clean one?

VIDEO - feel free to watch it all, or fast forward to 1:55 and watch how it gets calm and then goes nutso!

Thanks! :mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok...I assume i can just attach my siphon hose to the bucket and put the other end in a bowl with sanitizer, yes?

This is what I do for the first few days of every fermentation.

blowofftube.jpg

Ok, thanks! I've got my siphon tube securely in the rubber grommet of the bucket lid and the other end in a growler half full of sanitizer.

I can't believe how much noise it's making. I'm in the dining room and it sounds like Fat Bastard is in the bathroom dropping the biggest deuce of his life! The fermenter is in the 2nd bathroom, in the tub...door is closed.

haha, this is pretty awesome!

alright, added video of what it was doing when i got home...edited first post, so the vid is there now......making this post pointless, I suppose
another video is uploading...this one with the blowoff attached.

Ok, video with the blowoff. I like how it speeds up and then there's a calm...and then WHAMMOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/user/Xaphoeous#p/u/0/c6d5v1y_ifs"]BLOWOFF[/ame]

EDIT: not sure why this one didn't embed like the first one

I use Notty on most of my brews and it seems that Co2 release peeks out in 24-36 hrs then start to settle down it will continue to ferment after it slows down in airlock activity I have had some real eruptions with Nottingham I love it and it never let me down.

A blow off tube that small could get clogged. I use a 1" tube in a carboy.
Possibly, but the tube on the airlock saved me this last round. My krausen ring is covering the entire bottom of the bucket lid and down to the 5.5 gallon mark. I'll add some 1" tubing if I switch over to carboys.

What xaphoeous doesn't mention is that he was insulting the beer, and then playing Higher and Higher for it, a la ghostbusters 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
What xaphoeous doesn't mention is that he was insulting the beer, and then playing Higher and Higher for it, a la ghostbusters 2.

hahahahaaaaaaaaa I thought of this EXACT thing when I saw the airlock doing that! Maybe the guy in the apartment above me was playing country music...my beer hates country music.

In other news, the gurgling into the blowoff tube's jug-o-sanitizer has completely stopped. It stopped just about a half hour ago, actually. I could hear it gurgling away as I sat here. Then it slowed to a gurgle every 10 seconds, then there was a few a minutes of silence, then one more gurgle and now nothing for the past half hour at least. Perhaps I should check for tube cloggage.

Back