Irish Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmacwet

Reaction score
I have a recipe for an Irish Stout and it calls for some ingredients I can't find. I would like to know where I might find these ingredients or if there is something I can substitute for them. They are: 4# light diastatic LME, 4 t. gypsum and 1 oz. bullion hops.

well, the gypsum is specifically used to lower the ph of your water so unless it is specifically designed for your water profile, you could probably do without it.

If you cant find Bullion, you could possibly substitute Columbus or Northern Brewer.

idk anything about diastatic lme so i cant answer that question. sorry

Gypsum can be found at a local home brew store. You can also order online.

As far as the others....I'll have to poke around when I get a chance.:mug:

+1 to pwndabear. Don't add gypsum if you are using extract; it's already got all the water salts you need.

What else is in the recipe? Must be some unmalted grains, requiring diastatic enzymes. I think that there is probably little demand for diastatic LME, therefore hard to find it, since you can always do a mini-mash with some 2-row if the other grains require mashing. But many recipes just use steeping grains and are fine that way.

What is diastatic malt?
Malt can be diastatic or non-diastatic. Non-diastatic is simply added as a sweetener, diastatic malt breaks down the starch in dough to yield sugars on which the yeast can feed.

If this is the case than I believe you will be fine steeping the specialty grains and skipping the diastatic LME.

Diastatic malt extract is simply malt extract still containing enzymes capable of converting starches to sugars. As diastase enyzmes are rapidly denatured by heat, the overwhelming majority of malt extracts are not diastatic. Using diastatic malt extract permits a certain amount of mash-like conversion to take place without the hassle of mashing.

Edme is the only company of which I am aware which makes a brewing-quality diastatic malt syrup. Unfortunately, I don't think it's really available in the US, though UK homebrew suppliers seem to stock it.

In this recipe, I suspect the intent is to use diastatic extract to convert the starches in flaked barley to fermentable sugars. This is absolutely necessary with Dry Irish and Oatmeal Stouts, as the unmalted adjuncts (flaked barley and flaked oats) cannot be used effectively in extract-and-steep techniques. Steeping flaked grains adds nothing but haze, foam-killing oils, and glop; they must be mashed to have any effectiveness at all.

Cheers,

Bob

As far as bullion hops - I was poking on the net the other night - Tonofhops.com. They are on sale, you can buy per pound but keep the in the freezer and if you like the recipe you have the hops you need.

Diastatic malt extract is simply malt extract still containing enzymes capable of converting starches to sugars. As diastase enyzmes are rapidly denatured by heat, the overwhelming majority of malt extracts are not diastatic. Using diastatic malt extract permits a certain amount of mash-like conversion to take place without the hassle of mashing.

Edme is the only company of which I am aware which makes a brewing-quality diastatic malt syrup. Unfortunately, I don't think it's really available in the US, though UK homebrew suppliers seem to stock it.

In this recipe, I suspect the intent is to use diastatic extract to convert the starches in flaked barley to fermentable sugars. This is absolutely necessary with Dry Irish and Oatmeal Stouts, as the unmalted adjuncts (flaked barley and flaked oats) cannot be used effectively in extract-and-steep techniques. Steeping flaked grains adds nothing but haze, foam-killing oils, and glop; they must be mashed to have any effectiveness at all.

Cheers,

Bob

In other words: AG is awesome! :mug:

Latest posts

Back