IPA Questions (cold crashing, fermentation time, and dry hopping)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWN

Reaction score
I have an IPA in my primary fermentor, the instructions in the kit sat to leave it there for a week or two then move it to secondary for two to four weeks. I am not planning on using a secondary. How long should I leave it in the primary? I do have a secondary I could use but from what I have read on this forum I think i am better off without it.

How long should I dry hop for? The instructions say 1 - 2 weeks. I have read that is too long. Are there benefits to longer or shorter durations for dry hopping?

I don't have fridge for cold crashing but my attic is around 27 - 32 F. Will that be too cold? How long should I leave it in the cold? Does the temperature being colder mean I can leave there for a shorter time period and achieve the same results? What if it freezes? My beer currently is 63F in the fermentor and 58 - 59F ambient temp.

Alot of people do three week primary fermentations.

I would dry hop on week 2. But I have dry hopped at the end of week 1 and bottled after 2

I dont cold crash my beer.

Ditto what Clann said - and I make Pale Ales all the time. Three weeks, then to bottle, but if you get lazy or busy, four or five in primary is fine.

Back