I hate siphon!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtk6006

Reaction score
I tried one night with water and i covered everything including me with water IT WAS EVERYWHERE! Im glad i didnt wait until beer time. Then i was thinking well i will just pour it in the bottling bucket and i guess somebody else had same idea and it was shot down yesterday BUT when i take my hydro reading i use a ladle Now i know what your thinking THATS GONNA TAKE FOREVER! I have plenty of time though I HOPE! Can i like ladle it out with ladle or a coffee cup or something like that? It would be easier for me then siphon I just dont have the "touch" And i prolly screw up auto siphon too Anybody see any problems with this method?

try a turkey baster or wine thief to pull samples. to transfer, don't pour, either work on learning how to use the siphon properly or go get an auto siphon, they're like $10 and work really well. i recently got one and will never go back to the old racking cane again! :rockin:

I really don't think you can screw up an auto siphon.

Attach hose to the autoshipon and put in bottling bucket, put autosiphon in beer, pump a few times and you are good to go

You could try a cleaned and sanitized turkey baster....it works very well. That is if I am understanding this correctly, that you are trying to get enough for a hydro reading. Now if you are trying to rack an entire batch of beer with a ladle, I would be worried about adding too much oxygen to your beer prior to bottling.

try a turkey baster or wine thief to pull samples. to transfer, don't pour, either work on learning how to use the siphon properly or go get an auto siphon, they're like $10 and work really well. i recently got one and will never go back to the old racking cane again! :rockin:
:rockin: we posting at the same time!! :rockin:

It'd be too easy to oxidize the batch doing it that way. Check your auto siphon for leaks & such. I have one I use ocassinally,& it works fine. But I have spigots on my FV's,& got my process better so I can just tilt the fermenter to get the last bit racked over without any yeast trub*& I posted the same time as you! We tight today!! Aaaah,good ol' airlock smell...

Get a thief for your measurements (you can use a hydrometer in the thief, although I don't) and a autosiphon for transfers/ bottling.

Autosiphon FTMFW!

My second one is great! My first one I used to transfer hot wort from the BK once. (ONCE...)

I never cared for the water trick. I also like to use a "T" connector and sucking on the hose end trick. Simple, safe, effective and cheaper than an autosiphon.

One thing you can do is if your autosiphon is a little leaky, but not bad enough to warrant replacing, you can cover the end of the siphon hose with a sanitized finger and you can get the siphon going in one pump

MotorcycleMatt said:
I really don't think you can screw up an auto siphon.

Here's how I did it - try moving hot wort through a hybrid chiller. You'll get a nice 'L' shaped auto siphon that will only allow 1/2" pumps.

I personally don't mind siphoning, but I hate lifting carboys full of precious beer with all the attendant perils, not to mention the wear and tear on my senior's back.

So what I did was to get me a water bed drainage device that hooked onto the sink, linked it with a carboy cap or two and fed the contents of the fermentation pail or secondary carboy to the new carboy without having to lift - ground level to ground level. This proved as good as a $200 pump for less than $20. The device also sells as an aquarium drainage pump - just buy the replacement unit and not the complete setup.

Back