i dunno what going on

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darren97

Reaction score
My fermentation stated yesterday i slightly opened the opening so it would act as an airlock but had to get rid of it cuz bubbles were made and they pushed their way out and made a mess. i didnt loose all but some juice. I decided to open it. Infact i didnt add sugar just juice. Cuz last time i added sugar bubbles formed more wilder than this time. So heres the question ive seen ppl use balloons instead of airlock whats the point of it if bubbles are going to break their way out. And did i use too much yeast 100g yeast in 1.5L apple juice. Also it smells like fart. Is it normal. Im sure it never was contaminated.

What fermentation vessel are you using? How full was the vessel?

The intent of the airlock is to allow higher pressure gas to escape while also providing isolation from external gases from entering. If you have actual "bubbles" coming out of your vessel, you probably didn't leave enough headspace in the vessel.

While it is actively fermenting, it is generating CO2 which will protect it. You will need some kind of loose cover just in case a fly gets in.

Once active fermentation slows, you need to have something to trap the CO2. If you get O2 in there, you could end up with vinegar. The balloon with a pin hole in it lets CO2 out, but makes a seal when the brew stops generating CO2, and helps prevent O2 from getting in. An airlock is a better method.

Cider does tend to create sulfur dioxide when fermenting; that is what is smelling foul. Don't worry, it is no indication of what the brew tastes like.

Cider does tend to create sulfur dioxide; that is what is smelling foul. Don't worry, it is no indication of what the brew tastes like.

Thanks for the heads up on that one I brewed a cider for the first time yesterday. Now when it starts to smell I will know why. I can also blame the smell on SWMBO and mess with her a bit. It's so much fun to annoy her. :)

So what kind of loose cover are you suggesting i dont have anything in mind that can keep the bubbles in

Sent from my SHW-M340S using Home Brew mobile app

I would use a blow off tube incerted into the hole you would put the air lock in if you have the materials. I use the hose from my racking cane or siphon abd out the other end into a container of starsan. I don't know if this response is to late but I always use a blow off fir the first few days. I get bigger bubbles and can hear it throughout my house. I'm a child like that lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Back