Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Hydrometer Reading Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2010, 04:39 PM   #1
flash24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hydrometer Reading Question

I have a bad habit of forgetting to take an initial gravity reading prior to pitching my yeast. Is this a problem or am I actually taking this reading at the appropriate time?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2010, 04:43 PM   #2
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 24

You can take it right after you pitch your yeast, but if it's started fermneting, you won't be getting the actual OG.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:43 PM   #3
android
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i've done it a few times and the reading is always right about where i'd expect it to be, so i don't think there's anything wrong with it as the yeast probably haven't made a significant reduction in the number of sugars at that point.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 03-08-2010, 04:50 PM   #4
flash24
Recipes 

Thanks..I did not think it would matter that much since fermentation had not begun yet. Just curious as my readings were slightly higher than the recipes reading range.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:51 PM   #5
bsteele
Recipes 

Take your reading before adding yeast. If you take it after adding yeast, there's the possibility that you'll drain some of the yeast... but what's a couple yeasties, there's like 18 million billion gazillion more floating around ... or... something like that.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:07 PM   #6
pkeeler
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsteele View Post
Take your reading before adding yeast. If you take it after adding yeast, there's the possibility that you'll drain some of the yeast... but what's a couple yeasties, there's like 18 million billion gazillion more floating around ... or... something like that.
Since oxidation is good at that point, I put back the beer I use for the OG. With a big splash at that Of course, you have to sanitize your hydrometer. But I hate wasting beer

Quick Reply