How to save an Extract Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

underdogadam

Reaction score
I seem to be on a series of "asking stupid questions" here. lets see if this one is better...

So i've got an extract stout in secondary.
SG: 1.036
currentG: 1.022
3 weeks down the road now. been stuck at 1.022 for 10 days. kinda forgot about it.

but it's not moving. clearly i wasn't going for anything big. it was a breakfast stout extract kit, not supposed to be any bigger than 3%. but that's like...1.x%

i can't figure out where i went wrong. any suggestions to help move it along?

i've got some yeast sitting around. could pitch more.
could add more sugar (clearly the completely wrong answer...but maybe i will)
could just shake it up?
i refuse to use beano.
maybe all of the above?

gunna do something when i get home in a few hours. any advice will be taken immediately, and then you will be blamed for said failure or success.

What temperature has it been sitting at? What yeast did you use? Will need a little more info to figure out what's going on with this and give you advice...

I would definitely rouse the yeast and, like tt said, probably warm it up based upon the current temperature. There, now I can be blamed for any said failure. :)

Recipe and yeast strain will help us determine expected results.

NB's breakfast stout is only something like 2.2%, and yours is now ~1.8% Priming sugar will raise that by 0.25%.

Check temp of your sample and measure water at that temp using your hydrometer to make sure you don't need to adjust the reading.

actually it is NB's breakfast stout. i thought it was supposed to hit closer to a 3... my bad!

also... i had no idea that priming sugar raised the total alc% that much! (newb. shocker there)

temp has actually been around 80 in my closet. just a lil' too high for my thermometer strips on glass carboys to register anything.

i used the S-02? dry yeast.
still worth trying to rile it up a bit? i gave it a little stir. i've got some tubes of some belgian wyeast...forget which one...that i washed and saved. could add those if needed.
but it sounds like i'm actually ok, and i was more freaking out over nothing?

thank you all for not thinking i was retarded and asking nice questions.
y'all are the best.

oh, wyrmwood. thanks for that recommendation. i never thought about temperature affecting the hydro-reading. how many points can that actually affect it?

I have scorched sugar (lme/dme) during the boil that made it unfermentable and left me with a high FG. It is not uncommon to end around 1.020 when brewing extract.

don't know if this will help, i did an irish stout that seemed to stop at 1.020, i decided to pitch another pack of yeast, came with irish ale yeast, don't remember which brand, then pitched s-05, the batch went down to 1.014, turned out great. thought it would have off flavors because of two types of yeast, nope, great brew. good luck

oh, wyrmwood. thanks for that recommendation. i never thought about temperature affecting the hydro-reading. how many points can that actually affect it?

In this case it would make it higher. If your hydrometer is calibrated for 60F (most are) then a reading of 1.022 at 80F comes out to an adjusted SG of 1.024

My last hydrometer read like the textbook,
http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixA.html
The one I have now is 3 points low at 110 F, right on at 98 F and 3 points high at 58 F, very non-textbook. Just measure water with a thermometer at different temps. I got all those just using the tap.

Back