How long will yeast last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesusarenque

Reaction score
Hello,

I am getting ready to bottle my first batch of home brew tomorrow, and I am of course itching to get started immediately on my next batch. I had ordered two kits together: an American Pale Ale and and Irish Stout. I will be bottling the APA tomorrow, but I think I'd like to do something other than the Irish Stout as a second beer. My question is: Is it ok to leave the Irish Stout yeast in the fridge while I brew other beers, or should I go ahead and use it before it goes bad.

Thanks for the input, and I look forward to participating in these forums.

Dry yeast (which I'm assuming is in the kit) will last for months if stored in the fridge. Liquid yeast can also last a while if stored properly. I would proof the yeast before using it though.

Yeast is pretty resilient, if you ever question the yeast's viability then just make a starter.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to bottle my first batch today and hopefully brew batch number two next weekend.

Back