Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to know if wine has cleared/needs to be retransfered

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 11:58 PM   #1
matt6765
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How to know if wine has cleared/needs to be retransfered

Hello,

I started making a one-gallon batch of pomegranate wine in late December. The instructions on the recipe stated that the transfer from the primary container to the carboy should happen after one to two weeks when the specific gravity reached 1.050. Mine started at 1.100 and reached 0.995 in a week. Although slightly perplexed, I continued the process and transferred the wine to a one-gallon carboy. It has been around a month now, and the wine has settled; a one half-inch layer of sediment has formed. The wine does not seem to be as clear as commercial wines, and the recipe states to "siphon again to aid in clearing if necessary." Should I do this, and how do I know when to bottle? Also when bottling or transferring, how do I prevent the settled pulp from getting into the cleared wine? This is my first time trying to make wine, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Matt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 12:12 AM   #2
TXCrash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 2697 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt6765 View Post
Hello,

I started making a one-gallon batch of pomegranate wine in late December. The instructions on the recipe stated that the transfer from the primary container to the carboy should happen after one to two weeks when the specific gravity reached 1.050. Mine started at 1.100 and reached 0.995 in a week. Although slightly perplexed, I continued the process and transferred the wine to a one-gallon carboy. It has been around a month now, and the wine has settled; a one half-inch layer of sediment has formed. The wine does not seem to be as clear as commercial wines, and the recipe states to "siphon again to aid in clearing if necessary." Should I do this, and how do I know when to bottle? Also when bottling or transferring, how do I prevent the settled pulp from getting into the cleared wine? This is my first time trying to make wine, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Matt
If you're actually at .995, put er in the fridge for a couple days then transfer to tertiary. You'll probably have another 1/8" or so layer of sediment drop in tertiary. I'd bottle after a few weeks in tertiary.
Are you just bored and wanted something, anything to type?-IrregularPulse

I will just push my son to have kids at 15. Then I will see the grandkids longer.-AMonkey
IP's wife's boobs weigh more than my wife.-Randar
My wife has the coordination of a drunk two legged spider.-Zuljin

Old 02-14-2013, 12:15 AM   #3
matt6765
Recipes 

Is a tertiary another carboy?

Old 02-14-2013, 12:17 AM   #4
TXCrash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Is a tertiary another carboy?
Yes. Tertiary is every "secondary" after secondary.

I will just push my son to have kids at 15. Then I will see the grandkids longer.-AMonkey

Old 02-14-2013, 12:21 AM   #5
matt6765
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCrash View Post
Yes. Tertiary is every "secondary" after secondary.
So to do this, I will just put the siphon in the wine and transfer it? Do I just avoid the layer of sediment by an inch or so, and how should I replace this now lost liquid? Thanks!

Old 02-14-2013, 12:30 AM   #6
TXCrash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
So to do this, I will just put the siphon in the wine and transfer it? Do I just avoid the layer of sediment by an inch or so, and how should I replace this now lost liquid? Thanks!
Your siphon should have a cap which prevents the siphon from sucking up too much gunk on the bottom. Replace liquid with a like wine or distilled water or leave it be. In full disclosure I've made wine 3 times, though that has totaled to around 60 gallons.

Quick Reply