Hops stuck on top in Secondary - Normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopChef

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I racked my IPA (first brew!) over to the secondary to dry hop. Yes I know that I could have dry hopped in the primary, but wanted to free it up for another beer I did this weekend. I tossed 2oz Australian Galaxy into the sanitized carboy, gently siphoned the beer out of the primary, and as it filled the hops came up to the surface and have stayed there for 4 days. I suppose I assumed they would eventually drift to the bottom, but didn't know what the norm was, as this is my first beer. There is some sediment on the bottom, but the majority of the hops are on top. Any issue? Is this normal?

My plan was to dry hop for 10 days, then cold crash for 3 in my beer fridge (CL special!) before bottling. Any advice on this technique?

Perfectly normal. The hops usually are chilling on top. The sediment in the bottom is sleepy yeast. Are you going to cold crash in order to try and clear the beer? If you really want the beer to be clear, you may want to look into finings, such as irish moss during the boil, and then gelatin in the secondary. But most people don't care about clear IPAs, more like when they make lighter beers.

So I racked my IPA (first brew!) over to the secondary to dry hop. Yes I know that I could have dry hopped in the primary, but wanted to free it up for another beer I did this weekend. I tossed 2oz Australian Galaxy into the sanitized carboy, gently siphoned the beer out of the primary, and as it filled the hops came up to the surface and have stayed there for 4 days. I suppose I assumed they would eventually drift to the bottom, but didn't know what the norm was, as this is my first beer. There is some sediment on the bottom, but the majority of the hops are on top. Any issue? Is this normal?

My plan was to dry hop for 10 days, then cold crash for 3 in my beer fridge (CL special!) before bottling. Any advice on this technique?

In the future buy some glass marbles from the dollar store or something and sanitize them and throw them in the bag with the hops...instant weight sinking them to the bottom.

It doesnt really matter a whole lot, but its a simple solution.

I didn't think about bagging and weighting the hops, good idea. The cold crash was to try and clear it up before bottling, and I'll definitely be trying the irish moss on the next version.

Back