Help --- Stuck Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frost

Reaction score
I started an IPA 2 weeks ago and checked the gravity last saturday. It was at 1.024 so I figured it's just taking a bit since it's a little higher gravity. So I go to check it today and it's still 1.024. Fermentation temps are around 72-74 and I used Muntons Ale yeast.

I twisted the bucket a bit last saturday to see if the yeast needed to be aroused but it apparently didn't do any good. Starting gravity was around 1.064. I don't have any spare beer yeast, all I have is wine and champagne yeast. I don't suppose I should restart with those. Any advice?

I'd bottle it. You will probably do more harm than good trying to re-activate it. Next time, use different malts that have a higher fermentable base and try a different yeast. Shake the bajeebers out of the wort before pitching the yeast to really get a lot of air on the wort.

Overall - the beer will be a little sweeter, but should be fine.

Dan

I aerated the wort. I used an extract kit from AHS so I'm assuming they know what they're doing. You're suggesting bottling an IPA after 2 weeks...don't think so buddy. IPA's take atleast 2 months to age.

So you think I should stir it a bit homebrewer_99?

I always feel like a Munton's basher but I've had the worst luck with that yeast stopping above expected finally gravity. I have switch to using different yeasts (mostly Nottingham or 05) and never had the problem again.

If it was my beer I would leave it for now and buy some new packets of a different brand and repitch. Gravity of .024 seems pretty high for bottling but that's your call.

Temperature sounds good, I would roust the yeast, or even carefully stir the wort with a sanitized spoon if it's in a bucket. .024 is too high to bottle from .064 and re-pitching yeast at the current alcohol level may not work. I would take the chance of infection to wake the yeast up and get them to work. Hey even if it does get messed up, it may become your best bitter ever.

Back