hefewiezen slow to start fermentation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyetube

Reaction score
I know this has probably been answered in some form or another but I searched and didn't see this type of answer. It's been 24 hours since I pitched the yeast in my hefewiezen with no activity. Should I try to rouse the yeast by swirling the fermenter? I used a wyeast liquid yeast but did not make a starter with it. The yeast was also a little cool from the fridge as I didn't let it stand but for about 2 hours before pitching it and the bottle says to take it out of the fridge at least 4 hours before pitching. also I have the fermenter at about 69-70 degrees. I was told hefe's can withstand warmer temps. I know waiting is always a good idea but should I try to rouse the yeast?

Nah, leave it alone.

Lesson to be learned: This time is called "lag time" If you made a starter two days ago you wouldn't be in the situation you are now in because you would have pitched an active yeast. ;)

It'll probably be going by morning. :D

I used a liquid yeast for the first time with my porter and it started within 24 hours with no starter... Weird... ok I guess I'll just wait!

When I did my first hefe I did not use a starter. It took about 31 hours to get going which I was unhappy about. Make sure you have a blowoff if you are using a 5 gallon carboy. Hefe's can start fairly aggressively. My first one damn near blew the airlock off. It took awhile, but once it went it REALLY went

As for your porter starting faster... I guess there are a lot of variables involved in that like recipe, type of yeast, ambient temperature, etc. Like I said, that first hefe took over 30 hours. I have an Irish red in secondary that I also did not use a starter on. It had rapid fermentation in about 10 hours. It just depends. One thing is sure though. I'm buying equipment to make starters before my next brew. I really want better consistency with those lag times

My hefes take at least 24 hours to start even with a starter but I pitch cool. Contrary to popular practice hefes should be fermented cool. The German brewers use a 30C rule where pitching temp + fermentation temp add up to 30C. In my case I pitch at 56F (13C)and ferment at 62F (17C). For more info on this download Jamil's podcast on hefeweizens.

GT

My wheats will take 24-72 depending on temp and if I make a starter. My last one took 72 hours. Watch out for the fermentation though. Make sure you have a good blow-off tube hooked up. My ceiling had krausen on it.

I've used a starter from the vial and from the canning jar of washed wlp300 and both took about 18 hours to start. As stated above keep it cooler than 70 and enjoy the results!!

Sorry I took so long to get back... Been real busy! I went to the lhbs and they suggested going ahead and pitching another vial of yeast(said it couldn't hurt), so I did that last night... I've got the temps in my apt at 71 as he said the warmer the ferm. temps, the more banana, the lower the temps, the more clove and I want more banana in mine. I am fermenting in a 7 gal bucket (my carboy is only 5 gal) with an airlock and no blowoff hose... I should be ok, right? I actually probably have closer to 6 gals of liquid rather than 5.

Sorry I took so long to get back... Been real busy! I went to the lhbs and they suggested going ahead and pitching another vial of yeast(said it couldn't hurt), so I did that last night... I've got the temps in my apt at 71 as he said the warmer the ferm. temps, the more banana, the lower the temps, the more clove and I want more banana in mine. I am fermenting in a 7 gal bucket (my carboy is only 5 gal) with an airlock and no blowoff hose... I should be ok, right? I actually probably have closer to 6 gals of liquid rather than 5.

You'll be fine. I am pretty sure you just wasted your 7 bucks for the second vial of yeast, but they're right and it won't hurt anything. 71 is fine for a hefe and a blowoff tube is definitely useful for a beer like that.

Just relax, it'll all be fine.

Hmm.. Have you check for any signs of fermentation?

If not, make sure the lid is on tight and that the grommet is tight too, if you have a "leak" then the fermentation lock won't bubble..

I've experienced long delays in the kick-off of wheat beer in the past..

In terms of the blowoff hose, see how vigourous your fermentation gets. It might not need it.

Just curious: how "fresh" the yeast you pitched? (was the expiration date close?)

I checked before pitching the yeast and there was really no evidence of krausen, there was a thin layer on the wort (about 1/4 inch maybe) but that was it. Also, the yeast was very fresh. (both vials had a 6 month expiration date). Can't wait for this thing! My first hefe! mmmmmmmm.

I checked before pitching the yeast and there was really no evidence of krausen, there was a thin layer on the wort (about 1/4 inch maybe) but that was it. Also, the yeast was very fresh. (both vials had a 6 month expiration date). Can't wait for this thing! My first hefe! mmmmmmmm.

If there was any layer on your wort that means you were already fermenting...

It's definitely fermenting now (although I probably wasted that second yeast vial :(). Lot's of activity going on... One last quick question. Hefe's don't really need to be clarified so I should just keep it in the primary for 2 weeks then bottle, right?

Back