First Brew -- Yeast cake in bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metaloaf

Reaction score
So I'm just finishing up my first batch (Irish Red that didn't turn out red, all extract). It tastes fine, but I'm finding a mini yeast cake in every bottle I drink. It's not over-carbonated, and I'm not sure it's affecting the taste, but it still worries me as I haven't seen anything about that on this forum or any book I've read. Is this worrisome, good, or totally inconsequential?

Also, it's definitely not the typical sediment I've seen in others' homebrews, it's a definite layer of yeast at the bottom.

Are the others-kegging it? Yeast is good for you. As far as clarity or taste its another preference.I always pour it slow to have it clear and taste it and in most cases i just end up dumping the rest in the glass,for some beers it may taste better others maybe not. As far as i know being bottle carbed- your always going to have some yeast at the bottem.Its bottle conditioned.

So I'm just finishing up my first batch (Irish Red that didn't turn out red, all extract). It tastes fine, but I'm finding a mini yeast cake in every bottle I drink. It's not over-carbonated, and I'm not sure it's affecting the taste, but it still worries me as I haven't seen anything about that on this forum or any book I've read. Is this worrisome, good, or totally inconsequential?

Also, it's definitely not the typical sediment I've seen in others' homebrews, it's a definite layer of yeast at the bottom.

Well, there is going to be some yeast in the bottles...the amount is going to depend on how much yeast goes into the bottles.

Did you bottle early, or suck up a lot (or all the yeast) when you transferred to the bottling bucket?

Didn't secondary which probably explains it (but I did leave it in the primary for 3 weeks, must have stirred up the yeast more than I thought). Anyway, I now feel like quite the n00b for missing that this was normal in all my reading, but thanks a ton for the reassurances.

Back