A few glaring mistakes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GotDrunkThenLost

Reaction score
Knowing that I was having some work done on my kitchen today I held off brewing up a hobgoblin clone this weekend and got on with it after getting back from work tonight.

Things seemed to be going well steeped my grains got my wort up to a fairly pathetic rolling boil and got on with things as I knew that was the best I was going to get even though it was only 2.5g boil. Hop additions at 45 minutes and 58 minutes in. I remembered my irish moss (which I forgot in mk1 of this brew but made up for with some gelatin), got my spanking new wort chiller in the boil at the same time. 6.5lb of DME to go in at flameout along with the 2.5 gallon of boiling water I topped off with at the end of the boil as I wanted to get the brew out of the way and I'm fermenting in glass so thought the chiller can handle it all.

Nicely down to 45c using my new chiller and newly built STC1000 based control box (to test it), cleaning up in the kitchen pick up 2 3lb bags of DME to clean under them. Ahh carp!

So chiller off, cooker back on, DME in, thinking to get back to 170f to pasteurise, then I think hang on, what would this do to my late hop additions! Shortly after that I wonder if I'd have just been better off bringing a couple of quarts of water to the boil dumping the DME in that and then adding that to the main batch and having a 5.5 gallon batch!

So time sensitive question as I'm re-heating the full batch (maybe not that time sensitive with this hob), am I better off getting to 170 and chilling or back to a boil and re-do my late hop additions (I've got plenty of those hops but none of the planned bittering hops)?

A question for me to remember to the answer for in the future, would I have been OK boiling some water adding DME and adding that to the main batch (hoping that a good stir and going through a strainer into the carboy would be a good enough mix)?

Thanks in advance.

I would've just mixed the DME in some boiling water and added to the fermenter. Bringing it back to a boil will only throw off you hop additions.
You will have more bitter than planned and less flavor and less aroma than planned.

Sent from somewhere to someone

Back