Fermentation temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nordoe

Reaction score
So I am brewing a Belgian wit and it's been fermenting in my closet for about 11 days in the primary. For about the first 8 days it was about 67 degrees f in there. It got really hot the last few days and I was not home to move the primary. It's probably been in the upper 80's. How bad do you think that will effect the brew?

Educated guess: it'll be fine. Fermentation temperature control is really important for the first few days of fermentation, then less so as time goes on.

I wouldn't let it get that warm if I could help it, but like I said, it'll probably be okay.

Educated guess: it'll be fine. Fermentation temperature control is really important for the first few days of fermentation, then less so as time goes on.

I wouldn't let it get that warm if I could help it, but like I said, it'll probably be okay.

I'll second that. Your beer will be A.O.K.

On this note.....I have a on-topic question.....

I'm just getting started, but have been running through things and I'd like to use my unfinished basement as my fermentation area, if not my brewing area. I have a walk-out basement, so it's not always around 60d all the time, but it's usually cooler, and I could keep the beer covered to keep out light. Wouldn't that work?

How controlled must the temp be in the beginning of fermentation?

Latest posts

Back