Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > fermentation temp too low?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
woody34
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts

Default fermentation temp too low?

I'm using the dry yeast that came with my extract kit. It primaried (not a real word ) around 62F and 64 at times in my basement. Now it's in the secondary at 60F and 62 at times. Is 60 too low? Even if 60F is acceptable, does it need to ferment longer due to the Low temp? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #2
barrog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

60F room temp is just about right for an ale although 58 would be better. 62-64 room temp is getting a bit warm. Fermenting temps can be 5deg or more than room temp. Also secondary temps aren't as important as primary.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:00 AM   #3
Fizzycist
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Even if it does take longer you should judge completeness by a hydrometer, not an airlock or a calendar. I agree with barrog, though, better to be too cool than too warm.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:03 AM   #4
pfgonzo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrog View Post
60F room temp is just about right for an ale although 58 would be better. 62-64 room temp is getting a bit warm. Fermenting temps can be 5deg or more than room temp. Also secondary temps aren't as important as primary.
Barrog ferments on the cold side in my opinion. If you can monitor the temp of the wort, that's best rather than guessing based on ambient. I keep my fermentatons between 66 and 70 for ales (wort temp). I don't know at what temp fusel production starts but it's higher than that.

Fermenting an ale in the 50s is asking for a slow/stuck fermentation as the yeast flocculate and go dormant before finishing the job. Chris White of White Labs recommends you raise the temp 4-10 degrees after the first 72 hours to encourage full attenuation. Most of the flavor compounds are already made at that point so the increased doesn't cause off flavors.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS