Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dumping Entire Wort into Fermenter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2011, 06:37 PM   #11
Malintent
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by drathbone View Post
Initially I pour my wort into the buckets and top off with near frozen bottled water. This helps aerate it which is good for the yeasties. However, I put a filter in my primary to catch all the sediment from the boiled hops, irish moss etc.
If you filter, then why do you use Irish Moss at all?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 07:57 PM   #12
RugerRedhawk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just dump mine in as of now, haven't tried filtering it was a bit concerned about how much wort is lost absorbed in the trub.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:46 PM   #13
Sean0301
Recipes 

I always pour the wort through a sanitized kitchen strainer. This helps to keep some of the junk out of the fermenter. I would also recommend moving it to a seconday after a week. I know a lot of people on here dont seem to like to use them, but I always have and have liked the result.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:52 PM   #14
drathbone
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malintent View Post
If you filter, then why do you use Irish Moss at all?
Because Irish moss assists in settling out haze causing proteins that wouldn't be caught by a mesh liner which I use to remove large sediment from the boil.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:16 PM   #15
IceFisherChris
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just dump it all in, I don't think it really matters. If you use a lot of hops then filtering through a strainer isn't a bad idea. I did a brew with 6-8 ounces of hops once and had a LOT of trub.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:10 PM   #16
stanzela
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Sorry to bump an old post but this is something I would love to hear more opinions on.

After a solid year of all-grain brewing I am still not getting the results I'd like. I am making some great-tasting wort, cleaning and sanitizing carefully and fermenting at relatively stable temperatures but still find many of my beers to have some 'off' flavours. I've recently been reading about the importance of separating the trub/break/hops from the wort when transferring to the fermenter, and was convinced that this was 'the missing link' between my current process and having great beer. When I think back on my first brews, which I recall as being better than those of late and I remember that for those I did siphon off the wort from the kettle rather than pitch everything into the fermenter, I think that this must be the problem.

Anyhow, when I read this thread and hear from so many (including Yooper whose advice I've come to trust) that they've had good results doing the same (i.e. dumping the whole lot), I wonder if this actually is my problem.
At the same time, I think that there must be a reason brewers and breweries go to such lengths to whirlpool and filter off as much as they can from the wort....

Does anyone else care to weigh in? Could it really be true that hot-break/trub would have no effects on flavour during primary fermentation?

Old 11-30-2012, 11:28 PM   #17
woody34
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts

As an extract brewer, I dump it all in. I don't use secondary but I primary for 3 or 4 weeks, siphon carefully and bottle. Maybe I've just been lucky but my beers have all been clear. Maybe it's different with all grain?

Old 11-30-2012, 11:31 PM   #18
woody34
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyhitch1 View Post

I know its horrible advice but DO NOT do this, youll drive yourself crazy. Be confident that you did everything right!
I agree. Timeframes, temperature and sanitation should be your focus. Don't over scrutinize the other things. No, u didn't ruin you beer and quite possibly didn't effect it at all.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:40 PM   #19
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 417

I agree with a few posts up - I believe I can taste the difference now that I strain out the gunk after boil. My first many batches were the full dump. My last few have been strained with a sanitized 5G paint strainer as I pour into the fermenting bucket. Im telling you, the beers taste crisper, cleaner. Maybe its in my mind, maybe not. Maybe it is because I am becoming more consistent. Who knows, but it is really the only change I have made.

Hit me on Untappd https://untappd.com/user/davekippen

Old 12-01-2012, 02:21 AM   #20
Jimmy_B
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I used to try and keep all debris out of my fermenter - I eventually gave up and have noticed no negative side effects. The only downside to this is if you're limited on space in your fermenter, however, I've got 30 liter buckets I ferment in so it's not an issue.

Quick Reply