dry-hopping stouts... a conundrum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigelow92

Reaction score
How do you guys feel about dry-hopping stouts? I figured I'm not adding any perceivable bitterness with a dry-hop addition, however I still want my malty / roastiness to take center stage. I was told dry-hopping is one of the easiest ways to improve your home-brew, since it gives the beer a fresher, more floral aroma, but I don't wanna knock my stout out of whack. I was pretty gentler on the bittering additions (I believe this beer has like 12 AAUs or so), but I haaate black IPA's so thats whats making me nervous... I really don't wanna black IPA on my hands. How do you guys feel? Will dry-hopping this guy with an oz. of liberty in secondary be worth it for my beer? or should I maybe just save the hops for my next brew?

Dry hopping a stout would be out of the ordinary. The BJCP guidelines for stouts say that hop aroma should be "low to none." Most stout recipes I have seen do not call for any hop additions with less than 30 minutes left in the boil. Dry hopping a stout would lead the hop aroma to mask the malty, roasty, coffee, bitter aroma.

Love it! There's a brewery here in Chicago that DH's their stout with Cascade and it is fantastic. An ounce in a 5 gallon batch should be subtle enough; definitely so with Liberty.

Love it! There's a brewery here in Chicago that DH's their stout with Cascade and it is fantastic.

If you know of any dry hopped stouts I could get my hands on in D.C., let me know. I can't even imagine what it would be like. I might love it, but would like to try a six pack before I try it with a homebrew batch.

The Real Ale brewery down here just put out a dry-hopped porter. Not the same, but the roastiness of the porter actually works really well with the dry hops. It's close to, but not the same as, the flavor profile you get from a dark IPA.

Latest posts

Back