dry hopping my irish red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ethangray19

Reaction score
I am going to brew a morebeer irish red soon - 1 oz magnum, 2 oz willamtte

I want it to be hoppier than a regular bland red, what shoul I dry hp it with?? How much??

I have some cascade and chinook leftover from a previous brew.
Any advice/experience would be appreciated

First off, you are not going to get any more bitterness from dry hop. Many will tell you you wont get any flavor either (although I think you do get some). Dry hopping is for aroma. The chemicals that attribute to flavor and bitterness arent readily soluble in wort and they need to be isomerized during boiling. Obviously, dry hops are not boiled so therefore these components do not get utilized.

When you say that you want it hoppier do you mean that you want it more bitter or you want more hop flavor?

both bitter and hop flavor.

would it be a bad idea to put some cascades in the boil to up bitterness.

that sounds like it should be good as is. That is a big bittering addition for a red, and 2oz of Willamette should give huge flavor. Willamette is currently my favorite flavor hop. I did a stout with an oz nugget for bittering, and an oz of Willamette for the last 8 min. Even this stout was hoppy as the devil's kangaroo, and the willamette flavor was really pronounced, especially when young. You could stretch the bitterness of what you got by doing a late addition of malt as well. This causes greater extraction of the bittering acids in the hops. Look at some American Red and Amber recipes, they usually have huge hop additions and you may get some ideas.

Back