Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > is dry hopping this beer a good idea?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2009, 03:10 AM   #1
LarryC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default is dry hopping this beer a good idea?

I have a batch of Extra Pale Ale sitting in primary right now. It will be two weeks old on Saturday and the gravity has been steady at 1.012 for 3 days (I'll do one last test on Saturday). I have another kit ready to go so I want to rack it to secondary on Saturday to free up my 6.5 gal. carboy.

So here's my question, I have been growing hops and I have harvested about 8 oz. of Centennials and dried them. From what I've read Centennials are great aroma hops so I thought I'd dry hop my brew with them. Here's the recipe;

Specialty Grains
* 1 lbs. Dingemans Caramel Pils
Fermentables
* 6 lbs. Gold Malt Syrup
Boil Additions
* 2 oz. Cascade (60 min)
* 1 oz. Cascade (1 min)

* Safale US-05. Optimum temperature: 59-75° F.

Would you think dry hopping with the Centennials was a good idea? How much would you add?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2009, 03:16 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

In my opinion, dryhopping is almost always a good idea!

I'd try it. I'd start with one ounce, for about a week. If it needs more, you could add another ounce after that. I love the aroma I get from my hops- I grow cascade and hallertauer. I rarely use the hallertauer, but I used 16 ounces (dried) of my homegrown cascades last year. I'd love to get a centennial rhizome next year. I think you'll get a very nice flavor out of dryhopping with it.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:48 AM   #3
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'd definitely give it a try. Dry hop adds a nice aroma and should compliment the cascade bittering and flavor hops pretty well. I agree 1 oz seems like a good place to start and see what you think of it.

Cheers

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 08-21-2009, 04:09 AM   #4
LarryC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks for the support, I was really wanting to do this (my brother in-law gave me the rhizomes and this will be the first fruit of their labor!)

I plan on having the beer sitting in secondary for 2-3 weeks. Are you saying to add it after racking and then check it half way through secondary to see if I should add more?

Old 08-21-2009, 11:17 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
Thanks for the support, I was really wanting to do this (my brother in-law gave me the rhizomes and this will be the first fruit of their labor!)

I plan on having the beer sitting in secondary for 2-3 weeks. Are you saying to add it after racking and then check it half way through secondary to see if I should add more?
I don't like to dryhop more than a week or so- so I'd dryhop about a week before bottling. If you taste it and it's not enough, you can add some more, but I wouldn't go more than 10 days to 2 weeks on the hops.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:59 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

What I like to do is give the dry hops a week. If it isn't enough, I pull the bag and replace them. Centennial works well with Cascades.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-21-2009, 07:24 PM   #7
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yeah no reason to leave an extra pale ale on secondary for 2-3 weeks that has already primaried for 2 weeks. In reality the beer is probably mostly done and cleaned up already being on the light side, you won't really gain much by the longer secondary. So go a week in secondary with the dry hops and try a sample to see where you are at

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 08-21-2009, 10:16 PM   #8
LarryC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks all!

I'll get things started this weekend and let everyone know how it tastes once I get it bottled and conditioned properly (I hate waiting )

Quick Reply