Dry-hop my egg-beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockdemon

Reaction score
It has now happened, the thing Ive only read about. My starter smelled like eggs, the first 2 days of fermentation just smelled like fermentation and hops and now after 3 days the primary smells of eggs. If Ive understood this correctly it could ju be the yeast strain, and if its not its bacterial. I harvested yeast from a bunch of De La Senne bottles.

This is supposed to be my first attempt at dry-hopping. But should i transfer it to secondary, wait and see if the smell dissapears and then dry hop or could i still dry hop right away in the secondary?

Im planning to use a bag for the hops, to sanitize it, should i boil it before usage or put it in a jar with starsan or..?

Is it a lager yeast? They nearly always smell like sulphur (eggy).

What's the reason for transferring to secondary? I would dry hop in primary and keep it there, unless there is a reason not to.

If you boil the bag, you guarantee it is as sterile as you can get it. Better than starsan, but more effort. Either option will be OK though.

Is it a lager yeast? They nearly always smell like sulphur (eggy).

What's the reason for transferring to secondary? I would dry hop in primary and keep it there, unless there is a reason not to.

If you boil the bag, you guarantee it is as sterile as you can get it. Better than starsan, but more effort. Either option will be OK though.

De La Senne is a new belgian brewery, they are some kind of yeast freaks and say that they use 3 yeast strains for their beers. Its not supposed to be a lager yeast since the beer I harvested from is a noble hop pale ale. Perhaps they use lager yeast for bottling?

I normally do a secondary cos i want to harvest the yeast from primary, im so tired of ordering yeast everytime im doing a batch(cost is also 15$ for just one smack pack with shipping) so im trying to reuse all kinds of yeasts. But yeah, since this yeast is so smelly i wont reuse it.

but still, should i wait for the smell to vanish before i dry-hop? Youre supposed to dry hop for about a week before bottling right? And if the sulphur smell remains for ex 2 weeks i should probably wait til its gone to be safe?

Note that the smell of fermentation is not the smell of beer. I have had some pretty funky smelling brews that have turned out to taste delicious. I would just proceed as normal and dry hop for a week in the primary. You can still wash your yeast even if you dry hop (if you use a hop sack) and a pickle jar.

Note that the smell of fermentation is not the smell of beer. I have had some pretty funky smelling brews that have turned out to taste delicious. I would just proceed as normal and dry hop for a week in the primary. You can still wash your yeast even if you dry hop (if you use a hop sack) and a pickle jar.

Good to hear but if the sulphur smell is still there but no infection, should i bottle the beer or wait til its gone? In my head that means trapping the eggs in the bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Sounds like it's likely just a fermentation byproduct then. Likely just going to exist add a gas and not be in finished product.

Sounds like it's likely just a fermentation byproduct then. Likely just going to exist add a gas and not be in finished product.

I sure hope so, the weird part is that the first 3 starters i made didnt have the smell. It came at the last starter i made on brewday.

Latest posts

Back