Dear God!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

je52rm

Reaction score
How many hours have you stood there and just watched the beer fermenting? I'm new to home brewing and I can't get away from that damn carboy. It's amazing! hahahahahaha

How long did it take you to get to the point that you weren't "hovering" over the carboy all day watching it?

Almost five years into the hobby and I still find myself zoning out and watching it for upwards of 30 minutes. I've actually had SWMBO wave her hand in front of my face to snap me out of it.... this was a couple months ago :D

Are you sniffing the airlock too?

....welcome to the addiction.

Eventaully you will brew and just let them be.

Dude, I'm in the same boat right now. I'm 46 hours into primary fermentation (see? I'm even counting the hours) and I go into the damn closet with a dim flashlight every hour to make sure the temp is consistent and to check to see what's going on in the carboy. I can't stay away!!!!!! How am I going to last another 19 days (am doing my primary for 3 weeks)?

Hehehe...so, I'm NOT a Beer Freek? Or, am I a freek among other Admitted Beer Freeks? I'd say that this is a good freekishness? You had more nerve than, to admit it and post it. I just sat, watched my beer, and wondered if others do this...(roll eyes and whistle...)

;)

I have the good fortune to have my fermenter/storage stand to the right of my computer hutch. So I can watch & sniff while I'm on here with you folks. Best of both worlds. Does anyone else find themselves stairing at those boxes of conditioning beers as well? I've got all the aformentioned things in one corner of the room.

Not a beer freak. When your goal to brew up to the exact legal amount per household per year then you're a beer freak.

Also when you know you're a beer freak:
- You have three fridges in your garage, none of which contain food
- Every single time you pass by coolers in stores you just "have to look" (SWMBO drags me away all the time)

I have the good fortune to have my fermenter/storage stand to the right of my computer hutch. So I can watch & sniff while I'm on here with you folks. Best of both worlds. Does anyone else find themselves stairing at those boxes of conditioning beers as well? I've got all the aformentioned things in one corner of the room.

dude i cant even wait long enough before they're fully bottle conditioned before i wanna start rippin' into em'. hahahaha

My name is Jeremy and I am a Beer Freak

How many hours have you stood there and just watched the beer fermenting? I'm new to home brewing and I can't get away from that damn carboy. It's amazing! hahahahahaha

How long did it take you to get to the point that you weren't "hovering" over the carboy all day watching it?

I decided a while back that cleaning a carboy is the worst possible job in the world and moved to using a bucket instead.

Staring at a white plastic pail is not nearly as exciting. :(

Funny.... Swmbo caught me sitting in front of the carboy drinking coffee. Are you just staring at it? She asked. No, I having coffee with it i said, duh isnt that obvious?

I think I continued to watch mine until walking out to the brewery in the middle of the night and popping open the fermentation chamber became the issue. When we started brewing, and fermented inside the house I loved that "tick tick" of the air lock. We soon began fermenting in a chest freezer, so it was a little easier to forget about it. Now the fermentation chamber houses the conicals, and it's still nice to hear a choir of fermenting air locks, but I don't go out there unless we are doing something with the beer.

K, Envy...How's this? (hehe) I have all of my brewing stuff in a house that I bought, just to store my old Harleys (and my tools, ofcourse), reload cartridges to support my love of shooting, and have 1 fridge with NOTHING but beer in it, and a freezer for deer, wild hog, etc...I NEVER can go past a grocer's beer aisle without inspecting each and every beer not made by the "BIG GUYS", and I live in a dry (AH! SACRILIDGE!) live in a dry county..Am I a Beer Freek? Huh? huh? please, can I ple-e-e-ease be a Beer Freak?

(btw) I got the house after my ex-stapDa lost it because he just quit paying taxes. I bought it (on the cheap) from the bank that bought it and couldn't sell it 'cause I own the 1/2 mile road it's located on. I grew up in the house from 13 on...Not a rich dude, but I feel that way since I have it...my Wifey calls it "Your House". hahaha!

PLE-E-E-ASE! I wanna be included, can I be a Beer Freek? hahaha! (Maniacal, CRAZY laughter...)

well i got my 5th & 6th batch of home brew(wich are ciders right now) in the carboys for about a month and everyday i go check them out a few times and sniff the air lock ..:drunk:

K, Envy...How's this? (hehe) I have all of my brewing stuff in a house that I bought, just to store my old Harleys (and my tools, ofcourse), reload cartridges to support my love of shooting, and have 1 fridge with NOTHING but beer in it, and a freezer for deer, wild hog, etc...I NEVER can go past a grocer's beer aisle without inspecting each and every beer not made by the "BIG GUYS", and I live in a dry (AH! SACRILIDGE!) live in a dry county..Am I a Beer Freek? Huh? huh? please, can I ple-e-e-ease be a Beer Freak?

(btw) I got the house after my ex-stapDa lost it because he just quit paying taxes. I bought it (on the cheap) from the bank that bought it and couldn't sell it 'cause I own the 1/2 mile road it's located on. I grew up in the house from 13 on...Not a rich dude, but I feel that way since I have it...my Wifey calls it "Your House". hahaha!

PLE-E-E-ASE! I wanna be included, can I be a Beer Freek? hahaha! (Maniacal, CRAZY laughter...)
I think you already know the answer to that...:tank: I have all my beer stuff to my right in/on an old,large printer stand. I spend the most time in here,so it's becoming my man cave. Now if I just had a hidden door & pole to slide down into it...:D

Funny.... Swmbo caught me sitting in front of the carboy drinking coffee. Are you just staring at it? She asked. No, I having coffee with it i said, duh isnt that obvious?

HA! Congratulations you are the winner of the internet today :D :D

Dude, I'm in the same boat right now. I'm 46 hours into primary fermentation (see? I'm even counting the hours) and I go into the damn closet with a dim flashlight every hour to make sure the temp is consistent and to check to see what's going on in the carboy. I can't stay away!!!!!! How am I going to last another 19 days (am doing my primary for 3 weeks)?

Do you realize that there are stores that sell extra fermenters and ingredients? Make another while you wait for this one and then you'll have another airlock to watch.

If my house living room temp was good enough I'd put that badboy right on the coffee table so I could watch it with ease! Hahahahaha. I'd give it a krausen cuddle every now n' then!

Awesome. Since I'm a musician, sometimes I stand near my carboy and serenade it with some bowed bass or jazz walking bass lines. It is my firm belief that this is part of what makes my beers great. :mug:

lowtones84 said:
Awesome. Since I'm a musician, sometimes I stand near my carboy and serenade it with some bowed bass or jazz walking bass lines. It is my firm belief that this is part of what makes my beers great. :mug:

Those lil yeastie boys will be jammin' along to the bass lines!

I just bottled my first batch from the carboy and the second has a week in the "bottling bucket" that I converted into a fermenter.

And I, uhhh, named them. The first batch is Samanatha, a fruity blonde (Cream Ale). The second is Veronica, a sweet and spicy redhead (Honey Amber Ale). And sometimes I talk to them and call them by name. The weird part (not that it hasn't been weird this far) is that I can kinda picture what they'd look like if they were women and I really want to make labels with their pictures on them. I did get some strange looks from the SWMBO when I told her that Veronica was happily babbling away in the basement. She also wanted to know the name of the next batch I'm planning (a Nut Brown Ale), but I don't know their name until they are born... er..... fermented.

So, is there any hope for me? :eek:

Mike

I just bottled my first batch from the carboy and the second has a week in the "bottling bucket" that I converted into a fermenter.

And I, uhhh, named them. The first batch is Samanatha, a fruity blonde (Cream Ale). The second is Veronica, a sweet and spicy redhead (Honey Amber Ale). And sometimes I talk to them and call them by name. The weird part (not that it hasn't been weird this far) is that I can kinda picture what they'd look like if they were women and I really want to make labels with their pictures on them. I did get some strange looks from the SWMBO when I told her that Veronica was happily babbling away in the basement. She also wanted to know the name of the next batch I'm planning (a Nut Brown Ale), but I don't know their name until they are born... er..... fermented.

So, is there any hope for me? :eek:

Mike

U sir, are a beer freak! Thats a good thing though hahahaha

Maybe we ought to play a little Napolean Dynomite right here. they're coming to take me away,haha,there coming to take me away,haha hehe,hoho. To the brewery,where life is beautiful all the time!.:D

The best part is when you get your SWMBO to sniff the airlock for you when you can't be there and she does it because even she thinks it smells good!

beerloaf

hahahaha. I just brewed my first batch last night and i keep walking and just staring at it. It would be as weird if it wasn't on the floor in a closet. My wife must think i am a little bit off.

we'd make a great CSI team with as much investigating that we do on our beer.
Except we would be BSI - Beer Scene Investigators

But what if they are contaminated, or they overflow and you have refill the airlock? What if your wife decides to turn the light bulb off and crashes your temperature in the closet? What if your beer NEEDS you?! ;)

I like smelling the airlock to see what the yeast is like. For instances, Wyeast Forbidden Fruit 3463 smells like ASS, no kidding, a cheese gut bomb, room-clearer (didn't like smelling that one). Wyeast 1056 American Ale is nice and clean, if a bit plasticy smelling at first. Etc.

It helps me get into that carboy and understand what's going on!

Plus, I have them all on my kitchen counter or sink with t-shirts over them to keep out the light...

Hahaha I told my fiancèe, "Forget having children, we're raising beer!"

We've asked each other, "Have you sat with the beer yet today?"

And just today, we took our first FG reading, and I see that my fiancèe has been straightening up our brewing space, maintaining the carboy tempurature, and replaced the wet t-shirts with the cardboard box cover. And it just dawned on me, "My fiancée is a good beer mom!"

I think we both have been sucked into this pretty good!

Not a beer freak. When your goal to brew up to the exact legal amount per household per year then you're a beer freak.

Also when you know you're a beer freak:
- You have three fridges in your garage, none of which contain food
- Every single time you pass by coolers in stores you just "have to look" (SWMBO drags me away all the time)

There is an exact legal amount?

Oh yeah, We're shooting for double that. Maybe even triple.

I love watching the fermentor. Something so magical about it.
Should I be worried that my 3 year old likes watching it with me? Or should I be worried that I'm equally engrossed as he is?? :)

I started brew in 1986. This morning I stood watching my newest primary come to life, and stared in wonder at the way the bubbles seemed to synchronize with the two fermentors of Apfelwein.

I'm past the hover stage.

Well, except today I brewed my first lager. So I'm eager to see a lager fermentation take off :D

i must be a bitter ol scumbag, i ferment in buckets, inside a wine fridge, inside a closet. i look at the airlock for about 5 seconds a day the first three days and then basically forget about it haha...i've already moved on to the next brew!

Hello everyone. I'm very new to brewing. As a matter of fact, I just brewed my first 5 gallon batch a week ago! I actually put a chair down in front of the closet and watched the airlock. Oh, and been sniffing the airlock too! I love doing this, and don't see me changing, lol. Only problem is, got a white bucket for a fermenter. Need a carbohydrates so I can watch what's going on.

Anyways here's a good one. Last week I was making beer and I noticed it was a little stuck so I started to shake the carboy to mix it up(got it unstuck). Anyways I found out swmbo behind me. She went omg, from the back side it looked like i was humping the carboy. I turned around and said, do you mind I'm making love to my beer, why do you think it taste so good. You have to show it some love. She left the room and I finished shaking it. For 3 nights I had to sleep on the couch. Not a bad trade off since he carboy is next to me... She let me sleep with the beer for 3 night. LOL

Back