CRAP! what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemman14

Reaction score
So i began a brew today and when adding the hops had a small boilover and thought nothing of it, Then my flame starts getting really sooty so I take off the kettle and discover that only half the burner is lit. I guess the sugar pliugged the holes. It had only been boiling for 5 minutes. What should I do?

Yeah crank it to 11 and keep goin. Take something sharp and clean out the holes. No need to give up that easy. Maybe stop the boil for a min, scrub the hell out of the buner with hot water and a brush to open up the ports.

ok just got the burner running again, i stopped the boil at about 10 minutes in, should i just resume the count down where I left off?

would not hurt to restart and boil for the full hour, you might need to compensate for boil off but probably not. Either way 10 min shouldn't do too much harm.

it never fails something goes wrong, but its not failed , fix it... don't dump it.

would not hurt to restart and boil for the full hour, you might need to compensate for boil off but probably not. Either way 10 min shouldn't do too much harm.

it never fails something goes wrong, but its not failed , fix it... don't dump it.
I was telling my buddy I have yet to have a brew where SOMETHING didnt go wrong (this is my 5th brew)

I ran out of propane mid boil and had to drive to the store. I just picked up where I left off. Beer came out great.

it gets easier each batch , just learn from your mistakes and plan to have a few more , soon it will all come together and you will have a flawless brew day.

once I started transferring my beer from my kettle into an ale pale and I left the room,
when i cam back 10 min later there was beer everywhere ... the spigot on the bucket was left on.:rockin: :drunk:

(that beer was not saved... floor beer is probably bad.)

lesson learned. Don't leave your beer alone , in the boil , transfer, exc ... just don't do it. boil overs suck too.

A prayer would be in order here. Please bow your heads.

Our lagers, which art in barrels
Hollowed be the names.
You will be drunk,
We will be drunk,
At home and in the taverns.
Give us this day our daily heads,
And forgive us our spillages,
As we forgive those who spill against us,
And lead us not into bar fights,
But deliver us from hangovers.
For thine is the malt, the yeast, and the hops
Forever and ever Amen.