Commercial Dishwasher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtr

Reaction score
Howdy.

First timer here, and I had a question about sanitizing that I didn't see discussed elsewhere.

I have access to a commercial dishwasher...the Hobart kind, with some ridiculously strong chemicals that get shot out with 180 degree water....

Is there anyway to use this for sanitizing? Maybe just bottles? I'm a little leery of the harsh chemicals that are used, but I know my boss has used it on his equipment before jarring and it's worked out well.

If the chemicals are bad, would draining the lines and running it with just the hot water do anything?

If there's anyway I could use this, I think it would save me a lot of time come bottling day, so any ideas would be great!

well if you use it:

1. Make sure and use fresh water (they reuse the same water for washing)
2. I wouldn't use the cleaner that is used for dishes (b/c it might not fully rinse out of the bottle)
3. The 180 water is good, but starsan soak is better IMHO

All in all I wouldn't recommend it over a good old oxyclean scrub and starsan soak.
:mug:

I regularly sanitizer my fermenter and bottles (clean bottles) in my dishwahser at home on the sanitize cycle without detergent. I like the heat sanitizing especially since I use plastic to ferment in. The germs might hide from sanitizer in the crack but it can't hide from heat. It takes over an hour as I can't just run the sanitize cycle I have to choose one of the options that is a full wash. I figure the longer its exposed to heat the better anyway.

I usually do this the night before if bottling, and sometimes the night before or the day of brewing with the fermenter.

Back