cloudy beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chippie74

Reaction score
hi guys,im brand new to brewing and my 1st go was to do a dutch larger (heineken style). I followed everything to the book but when i came to bottle it the beer was really cloudy more like a bitter than a larger.Its been a week now in the bottle but no signs of clearing up.Will it clear in time as any one been in the same boat thanks!! lee

first thing that comes to mind is you didn't lager long enough. i assume the instructions on the kit rushed you to the bottle they almost always do. its a way for them to sell more kits. typically you ferment a lager somewhere in the 50's F. if needed you raise the temp by 10F near the end of fermentation to help remove off flavors. then you drop the temp to the low 40's F and leave it for 1 week per 10 points of OG rounded up. example the OG on the beer was 1.053 so you would lager for 6 weeks. only then do you bottle.

also its posable you have been brainwashed by the commercial brewing industry into thinking beer should be so clear you can read through it. thats not always the case.

first thing that comes to mind is you didn't lager long enough. i assume the instructions on the kit rushed you to the bottle they almost always do. its a way for them to sell more kits. typically you ferment a lager somewhere in the 50's F. if needed you raise the temp by 10F near the end of fermentation to help remove off flavors. then you drop the temp to the low 40's F and leave it for 1 week per 10 points of OG rounded up. example the OG on the beer was 1.053 so you would lager for 6 weeks. only then do you bottle.

also its posable you have been brainwashed by the commercial brewing industry into thinking beer should be so clear you can read through it. thats not always the case.

cheers for reply!! maybe i rushed into brewing without looking deep into it :(

If it isn't infected, has alchohol in it, and carbonated I'd say you didn't rush into it. Refining your process and working on things like clarity is part of gaining experience. It'll get better with every batch.

That being said, how long did you let it ferment before bottling? Did you add anything like Irish Moss to the boil? How long did it take you to cool the wort after boiling? There are many things you can do right/wrong that effect the clarity.

chippie...

one thing that can lead to cloudy beer, as the previous poster noted, is not using irish moss in the boil. That helps protiens in the wort coagulate and call out of suspension.

But, even if you do use the irish moss, it is still common to have something called "chill haze". I always get this in my beers. The beers are relatively clear when at room temp, but when I get them cold they turn cloudy.

After a couple of weeks of cold storage, this chill haze usually goes away for me and then the beer is really clear.

Back