Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cleaning and Sanitizing Bottles...OMG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2007, 06:27 PM   #11
FatMonsters
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I use the OneStep sanitizer. Bottling day can take long, but once you get used to the procedure it'll become second nature. I don't scrub my beer bottles, unless they are old and have been in storage (my father-in-law gets me the good groelsch type bottles from Germany, but when I get them there is mold and crud in the bottom, so with soap and a bottle wash jet (GET ONE!) I clean them). After drinking beer (homebrew or commercial) I rinse with hot water until they are clean and store upside down to drain. They are stored upside down until later use.

On bottling day, I batch up enough sanitizing solution in my bottling bucket (~6 galllons). I mix it up and let it sit in the bucket for about 10 minutes. Using the fill wand, I fill each bottle with the solution and alllow them to sit for about 10 minutes. I drain the bottles and put them upside down in the case box until I use them to fill. I don't reuse the solution from the bottles. The remaining solution in the bucket I use to sanitize the siphon and give the bucket one last rinse before bottling. I have not had any contamination issues to date.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2007, 06:42 PM   #12
Thirdeye
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulcahey's Brewing
I use the OneStep sanitizer. Bottling day can take long, but once you get used to the procedure it'll become second nature. I don't scrub my beer bottles, unless they are old and have been in storage (my father-in-law gets me the good groelsch type bottles from Germany, but when I get them there is mold and crud in the bottom, so with soap and a bottle wash jet (GET ONE!) I clean them). After drinking beer (homebrew or commercial) I rinse with hot water until they are clean and store upside down to drain. They are stored upside down until later use.

On bottling day, I batch up enough sanitizing solution in my bottling bucket (~6 galllons). I mix it up and let it sit in the bucket for about 10 minutes. Using the fill wand, I fill each bottle with the solution and alllow them to sit for about 10 minutes. I drain the bottles and put them upside down in the case box until I use them to fill. I don't reuse the solution from the bottles. The remaining solution in the bucket I use to sanitize the siphon and give the bucket one last rinse before bottling. I have not had any contamination issues to date.
Very concise explanation. Just what I was looking for. I think I will try that. Do you have labels on your bottles? Wondering how they fair in the dishwasher. Also, the "one last rinse" you give the bucket, is that unsanitized water directly from the tap?

Old 12-31-2007, 06:43 PM   #13
Thirdeye
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neomich
I rinse mine out really well after using them and store them away after a visual inspection. Beer is mostly water anyways so the way I see it, I'm just emptying a bottle full of water with a little bit of sugars and it doesn't need "scrubbing". After that, I just run them through the dishwasher with no soap for the longest cycle I have with the dry cycle turned on. If I have the time or think about it, I might run the dishwasher completely empty first to get rid of any soap residue that might still be in there.

I haven't had any issues yet with a beer that's been bad. It takes me more time to fit them all in the dishwasher than anything but I can still get 50 - 55 bottles in at a time if I try. I have no desire to bottle more than one batch at a time so this works for me.
I like it.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:51 PM   #14
FatMonsters
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdeye
Very concise explanation. Just what I was looking for. I think I will try that. Do you have labels on your bottles? Wondering how they fair in the dishwasher. Also, the "one last rinse" you give the bucket, is that unsanitized water directly from the tap?
I have started to remove the labels using Oxyclean and warm water. There is a thread around here somewhere on it if you do a search. For that process, I make sure to fill the bottles with tap water to the top. If they are the Groelsch bottles, I close the swing top and lock it. If they are bottle cap tops, I wrap in tiinfoil. Then submerge the bottles and let soak for a couple of hours. I usually do it right before I go to bed and then clean them in the morning and then do another batch so when I get home from work I can clean that batch. Don't open the bottles until you have rinsed all the gunk off of the bottles.

The last rinse is the solution in the bucket. Whatever is leftover from all the use I swish around again and then drain. I don't use the bottling bucket as a "wash bin", just to hold the sanitizing solution to be dispensed out.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:17 PM   #15
The Bone2

Recipes 

Default Here is what I have been doing

Rinse bottles after use, store upside down. Soak in oxyclean solution to remove labels as a "labor of love" process. Just gather a bunch of bottles and do it all at once. Store those bottles upside down. Prior to bottling, put bottles in dishwasher with no soap or any cleaning agents. Clean until sanitize feature on dishwasher lights up (don't know what I would do for this step if my dishwasher did not have a sanitize function). Take out bottles, store upside down. Prior to bottling, flip bottles right side up, spray about 8 sprays of Star San in bottles, doing entire two cases at once. As I bottle, I swish the Star San in the bottles and pour out. Fill bottles.

So far, this procedure is doable. I see no need to use a bottle brush unless there is visible crud in the bottle, in which case, I would probably throw bottle in recycling bin.

But don't listen to me, I'm a Noob.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:32 PM   #16
Neomich
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdeye
Do you have labels on your bottles? Wondering how they fair in the dishwasher.
I've left the labels on my bottles. I've had one or two come off in the dishwasher though. If they happen to fall on the heating element in there, you'll smell it and you can tell how hot that gets. The dishwasher doesn't really get them off too well but sooner or later, they'll fall off on their own.

This has worked for me. If I ever experience some issues with bad bottles, I'll change my process but if it ain't broke, I'm not fixing it.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."

-Frank Zappa

Old 12-31-2007, 07:41 PM   #17
FatMonsters
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bone2
I see no need to use a bottle brush unless there is visible crud in the bottle, in which case, I would probably throw bottle in recycling bin.
I agree with you for normal bottles. But like I said, I get the Groelsch bottles from Germany, that are pretty funky with mold and crud, and I scrub them out because the bottles are hard to come by. I have only had to toss 6 of them that were just unsalvageable...

Old 12-31-2007, 08:11 PM   #18
weetodd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a rectangular cooler that is big enough to hold about 20 bottles standing upright while still being able to subemerge the bottles. I start with a PBW soak (for getting crud and labels off) for a day or two and then hit them with the brush in the cooler (I've sawed off the loop end of a brush to fit in my cordless drill). I rinse them with a bottle jet/hose attachment on my sink, dry and store until it is time for use. When bottling time comes, I use the same cooler, this time using star san in the cooler. This process is really made easier if you rinse your bottles after drinking.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:17 PM   #19
BrianP

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Labels will generally come off very easily when soakwd in Oxyclean.

What I do for just-consumed beer:
- triple rinse with hot water
- de-label (commercial beers only, I don't label my homebrew)
- drain upside down
- store upside down in case
- sanitize just before bottling with StarSan using the vinator pump (a nice picture of one was provided on page 1 of this post)

For recycled bottles (those i didn't drink myself, with or without visible mold/crud in them)
- soak for an hour or more in a rubbermaid tub of very hot water with a full scoop of oxyclean (the stuff is aggressive and works wonderfully)
- use a bottle brush and scrub each bottle
- triple rinse with very hot tap water
- use a dish scrubber on any label or glue which oxyclean didn't affect (which is rare)
- drain/store/sanitize as with new bottles (see above)

Plus, if you use starsan, don't rinse it out, just fill your beer into the foam. That is how it was designed to be used and it will not affect your beer. Rinsing it out defeats the purpose of using it in the first place.

Cheers,

BP

-------------------------------
Fermenter 1: Best bitter (1)
Fermenter 2: Best bitter (2)
Fermenter 3: APA
Fermenter 4: APA

Old 12-31-2007, 08:27 PM   #20
Bills Brew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

As others have said: Rinsing as you consume saves a lot of work later.

On bottling day I do a final hot rinse with a bottle washer attached to the faucet. And then the Sanitizer Injector "Liquidicem" posted about earlier. Can final rinse and sanitize 54 bottles in about 20 minutes.

As far as the racking canes and all of that long stuff - buy a wall paper tray (been posted here before). Only takes a gallon or so. No need to make up 5 gallons. The bottling bucket only needs a quart or so. Swirl it around to coat all of the sides with sanitizer and done.

Quick Reply