Cleaning brew kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaace

Reaction score
I just ordered an actual brew kettle (I was using large pots prior to this) with holes for a thermometer and valve. Anyway, I put all those in and I finally got the valve to stop leaking but the thermometer still does...working on it.

Now my question: to clean this setup is it recommended to remove all these components each time or is there a way to leave these on and be sure of a complete sanitization? I'm worried about doing this for a few reasons; one of which is getting them all back on again and checking that they don't leak, etc.

Any recommended practices in this area would be super helpful! Thanks!

I use SS stock pots myself,4 & 5 gallons (16 & 20 QT). Unless something is burned on,I just clean them with a dobie,dish soap & water. Then rinse really well with hot water. One thing that comes in handy is those hollow handled scrubber things where the dish soap goes in the handle. Ours has a piece of scotch-bright pad attached. Works pretty well.

I use Teflon Tape to help ensure the seal. I had real issues with leaks when I first got my kettle until I used it. Ever since I take it apart every 5 brews or so to change the tape and haven't had an issue with leaks since.

Thanks for the info both of you! I'll probably just pick up some teflon tape then just to ensure there is no leaking. I'm probably a little overly concerned with sanitization so I would take my stuff apart every time if I knew I could get it back on easily with no leaks again.

Back