cleaning ale pail

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monty3777

Reaction score
I did a search and couldn't find the thread on cleaning an ale pale. My LHBS indicated that by simply rubbing my hand along the inside of the pail I could scratch it. I cleaned my fermenter last night and used the palm of my hand to break the kreuzen loose from the sides of the pail. Is this o.k.? Or should I only clean it by letting it soak?

First batch: Bottled
Second batch: another 1.5 weeks in fermenter
Third batch: next week
:mug:

Use a scotch brite sponge!

661532_0.jpg

Or something of a similar nature. You definitely don't want anything too abrasive. Give it a soak in some oxiclean and you'll take away the beer scent.

I've been using a light bleach solution (Recently switched to Oxyclean) and the yellow side of a yellow and green dish sponge for about 9 years....Perhaps there is some minute scratches, but noting to be concerned with. Never lost a batch in the fermentor, so I'll say it's an ok method.

I use a soft sponge. I'd heard about the hand scratching thing too on the Jamil show. I can't really see though how Star san would not be able to sanitize an almost microscopic sctratch. I'm careful with the pails, but I don't have a cow about miniscule scratches.

I used a microfiber towel to wash mine. Same ones they recommend to wash your car with to get it clean but not leave fine scratches in your paint.

A good soak overnight in Hot PBW takes care of most of it. I use a brand new sponge every time to clean it. I cut off about 1 inch of a new sponge to use and it has worked well for me and my 4 buckets.

I did a search and couldn't find the thread on cleaning an ale pale. My LHBS indicated that by simply rubbing my hand along the inside of the pail I could scratch it. I cleaned my fermenter last night and used the palm of my hand to break the kreuzen loose from the sides of the pail. Is this o.k.? Or should I only clean it by letting it soak?

Your hand won't cause any damage, unless you've got rings or razor sharp fingernails. I would just rinse off the loose stuff, and let it soak in a hot oxyclean solution...within a few hours, everything will come perfectly clean. Skepticism is understandable, I didn't believe it either until I tried it. I've never once put a brush or towel into my better bottles, but after a long soak they look like new.

If you do want to scrub, don't use anything harder than a soft sponge. DEFINITELY don't use the green side of a scotchbrite sponge!!

Latest posts

Back