Carbing a barleywine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krelja

Reaction score
I brewed a barleywine on 05/30/09 and all is going well with it so far. It was basically 12 lbs of amber LME, some belgian candy sugar, caramel and crystal steeping grains. I pitched 2 packages of US-05 yeast as at the time I was a noob and thought starters were mysterious and difficult. I think I messed up my OG readings but who really cares as long as it tastes good. I measured it at 1.081 and it finished at 1.018. I transferred it to a secondary on 06/28/09 and its been sitting ever since. It looks great nice and clear. There is not much of any sediment in the secondary and I'm a little worried after all this time and the lack of sediment that it won't carb up without adding some yeast to the priming mixture. I've got no problem waiting a long time for it to carb cause that's life. I searched around and didn't find alot of info on the subject. So what do I do carb as normal and hope everything is well? Or do I add a few grams of yeast in with the priming sugar? I just want these to carb up right cause minus a brewday that was filled with BS this thing tastes great and I want it to taste great for years to come

as long as it hasn't been crash cooled for an extended period of time, you will be fine... particularly since it's a barleywine, it will need to age in the bottle for an extended period, giving it plenty of time to carb up.

Alright its what I was hoping to hear. I don't have a problem letting it carb up for a while. I was hoping to cork and cage a few and give them to some people for christmas. I want to keep a bunch sitting around for a long while because from drinking many barleywines I know they get better with lots of age. I even think I read somewhere that barleywines hits thier prime 3-4 years after bottling. I believe it after having some vintage brooklyn monster, sierra nevada, and my favorite out of them all weyerbacher 12. That may be why I have about 15 or so of them left in the cellar.

Latest posts

Back