The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Capping twist off top bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2010, 02:50 AM   #21
xoltri
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Easy to undo?

Hey I've done some experiments with twist off bottles and a bench capper and it seems like they are really easy to un-twist when crimped. I'm in Alberta so I'm using the Canadian brown standard long neck bottles which are supposed to be good.

Is this normal? They seem to seal good but they just seem easy to undo.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2010, 12:46 PM   #22
lurker18
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I bottled 4 batches in Canadian twist offs with a wing capper and had no problems at all. They do feel a little loose when they are still wet from the Starsan, but once that dries, they are on there just as good as anything. You do have to be careful, make sure everything is seated right, and you can hear which bottles are going to give you trouble, they sound like grinding sand right away when you start putting pressure on them.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:29 PM   #23
BeerWars
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

They work just fine. I use them because I am a new brewer and don't have enough bottles to have a standard size yet and I am not ready to commit to buying a bunch of empties. Makes it easier to stack and store standard sized bottles. Plus you can't beat the price of 24 bottles filled with beer (cheaper than empty bottles).

I have a case of Miller Lite twist-offs that were all sealed with a red wing capper. Never a broken bottle, never a problem with holding pressure. If you want to test it out pop a brand new Miller Lite and immediately re-cap with a new crown cap. Put in the fridge and wait a week. It will still be carbonated just like the rest of them.

I put the cap on with the wing capper, after all are capped I hold a towel put it over the tops individually and twist clockwise to make sure the seal is seated. I think the towel step is unnecessary because I have yet to have a loose cap; but after spending brew time, fermentation time, and bottling time it is cheap insurance. The only issue I have is that the wing capper sometimes gets locked-up on the twist-offs (I am sure this will not be an issue as the capper gets broken in). If you have a bench capper you would be money.

In an ideal world I would have all Hoegaarden bottles or other standard bottles. But for now the BMC twist off will do.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:02 PM   #24
xoltri
Recipes 

I wanted to update this and add that the twist off bottles have been working great. I had noticed the caps were almost too easy to twist off before but they seem to grip better when they've been on the bottle for a while. Compared to wine bottles all of their original labels have been super easy to remove and it's nice to have them all the same size.

I also have 24 500ml plastic screw cap bottles from the LHBS and I kept a few clear miller bottles too. I use at least one plastic bottle for squeeze testing carbonation and one clear bottle to see what the beer looks just out of curiosity.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:23 PM   #25
Ichthy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had some people leave some bud light and bud lime bottles at the house and noticed the raised portion of the neck is low enough to get a wing capper on. I even capped an empty bottle and it appeared to seal well, though I didn't want to sacrfice a home brew to test. Also, those labels look like a bitch to remove since they are plastic and relatively waterproof.

Anyway, does anyone use bud light bottles with a wing capper.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:28 PM   #26
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm so confident that our Canadian twist off cap bottles are so good that I have entered some in competitions. Through the rigors of travel to the mainland, and the
jostling they must endure in the mail system ( oops, did I say mail system, I meant the courrier system, ooops did I say..... ) anyway, they all arived well even as far as Edmonton.
I have used them for over 25 years using a wing capper and lately a bench capper. All worked fine. Oh by the way I also have used Corrona bottles for 15 or so years... just keep them out of any light and they'll be fine.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 08-12-2010, 09:37 PM   #27
xoltri
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
I have used them for over 25 years using a wing capper and lately a bench capper. All worked fine.
That's good to hear because I've managed to get close to 200 of them now. We went camping to BC and they had drums people could put their empty bottles into. I would've been embarrassed if someone caught me but early one morning I went to the bins and managed to get about 30 dark bottles. "But I'm saving the environment!" I would've exclaimed if someone saw me.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:41 PM   #28
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've been bottling since the bottles in Hemsworth's avatar were still on the go. It's only recently that the long neck standard bottles you guys on the mainland have been using, have been introduced here in Nfld.
Most all were bottled with a wing capper. Never ever had a hich using any of them.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 08-12-2010, 11:17 PM   #29
grasshopper1917
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I live in Canada and always use twist off bottles - I have a bench capper and havent broke one in 3 years - should be fine

Old 08-12-2010, 11:40 PM   #30
BeerWars
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichthy View Post
Also, those labels look like a bitch to remove since they are plastic and relatively waterproof.

Anyway, does anyone use bud light bottles with a wing capper.
They are a little bit more tricky than the Miller bottles to delabel. I have only had a few of them. I soak them in warm water long enough to warm up the glass / glue. Then I peel the label, and toss them in oxyclean with the rest of the bottles to loosen up the rest of the glue.

I think they have the same exact specs of a Miller bottle, the only way I can even see a difference is the logo by the base of the neck.

Quick Reply