Can i simply make 2.5 UK Gallons (3 US Gallons) from 1x 1.5kg tin of malt extract ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrookhamBrew

Reaction score
Hi, completed my first ever home brew using a Woodfordes Wherry Ale kit, which contained 2 x 1.5kg tins of malt extract. It's has been part bottled and part casked, so now waiting for a few weeks before tasting, roll on Christmas. Think ahead to my next brew, if I only wanted to make 2.5 UK gallons, rather than the standard 5 UK gallons these kits make, can I just use one tin, half the supplied yeast and of course half the water ? Is is that simple ? I am planning on using the small casks and some bottles, but rather than make big batches, I prefer to make several small ones and ensure the beer gets drunk, I get to try several beers in a short time and of course, space. Can I just use one tin and make the 2.5 UK gallons ? Thanks for your advice.

Yes, it really is that simple.

I wouldn't bother trying to split the yeast though, just buy another sachet at £1.50 or there abouts. I've a friend who makes single can batches of 10L in collapsible water containers, the sort you get from camping suppliers, and usually pitches the whole sachet of yeast in the wort. No I'll effects from over pitching that anyone who's tasted it can discern.

Back