Can anyone tell me how to change my water profile to emphasize residual sweetness?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I have been using this water profile (see attached png image) with okay results.
I kinda mash low due to the fact that I use about 10% medium crystal malts and I want high attenuation (78% is the app. attenuation that I get).

My question is how shall I change my water profile if I wanna emphasize sweetness of the malts without getting rid of all the hoppiness?

Basically, I'd like a nicely balanced beer with nice sweetness.

water profile.jpg

Soften your water. You have some fairly hard water there which will emphasize hops bitterness. If you want residual sweetness, mix your water 50/50 with distilled water and use more roasted crystal malts.

Soften your water. You have some fairly hard water there which will emphasize hops bitterness. If you want residual sweetness, mix your water 50/50 with distilled water and use more roasted crystal malts.

And what does softening water mean exactly? Lowering or increasing Cl or So4?

ok. How about this:

Ca: 59
Mg: 15
Na: 1
Cl: 2
SO4: 164
Cl to SO4 Ratio: 0.01

Alkalinity (CaCO3): 11
RA: -40
Estimated pH: 5.56

I am not sure I can get the SO4 lower than this.

You want the Cl higher, and the SO4 lower. The sulfate accentuates bitterness, while the Cl will make a beer taste rounder/smoother.

I would use a 50:50 blend of your water with reverse osmosis water, or distilled water, and then add some extra CaCl2

Latest posts

Back