Brown sugar in wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knutz38

Reaction score
Hi:
I read somewhere that brown sugar can be added ( I'm not referring to priming sugar ).
Does this mean it can be added during the boil? And if so, at what times?

Thanks for replies

You can basically add it at any point before. Similar to a late extract addition I would probably add it with 10-15min left in the boil. It should be bacteria free, but letting it boil a few minutes won't hurt.

Brown sugar can be added any time during the boil. I've never used it in beer - only for cider. Don't expect to get much of a flavor contribution from it. Most of it will ferment and will impart very little flavor. Dark brown sugar is supposed to give slightly more flavor than light brown. Like I said, I've only used it for cider, but even then it's barely detectable in my experience.

Ideally if you're going to be adding large amounts of sugar as a late addition, you want to put it in as primary fermentation starts to slow down, preferably in step amounts (eg not all at once).

The idea here is that sugar (both corn and natural) is easily fermentable and given the choice between dealing with complex malt sugars or super easy to consume regular sugars, the yeasties will immediately head for the path of least work and not deal with the malt sugars.

By putting the late addition sugar in after primary fermentation slows, you're giving the yeasties the simple sugars they prefer after they've chewed through the malt.

Otherwise, if it's a small amount of sugar being added, then a late boil addition (10min or so) it's fine also.

If I have sugar to put in, I add it at flame-out. Recently, I had a recipe that called for 8oz of turbinado into 5gal (like sugar in the raw) and I can certainly taste it in the final product. Like sumbrewindude mentioned above, much more than that and I would add just into the fermentor (as a syrup with a small amount of boiled water) after high krausen.

Back