Brewing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyjabs

Reaction score
Hey everyone real quick I am adding my DME to my wort do I stir it in? I already added my LME and fist batch f hops and it has boiled for 40 min.

Thank you that's what I thought. It's been a few months since last brew. I am making Australian IPA with the galaxy hops.

You HAVE to stir it, preferably it should have been added and stirred off-flame. Just make sure there isn't anything stuck on bottom and stir gently. Adding oxygen while the wort is still hot is one of those no-no's I haven't had a chance to check the science on yet.

You HAVE to stir it, preferably it should have been added and stirred off-flame. Just make sure there isn't anything stuck on bottom and stir gently. Adding oxygen while the wort is still hot is one of those no-no's I haven't had a chance to check the science on yet.

When your boiling wort or near you have nothing to fear in the form of adding oxygen. When you boil your removing the oxygen.

I may be wrong but, I read and article in byo that said boiling does not remove 100% of the oxygen. Therefore couldn't it be possible to stir in additional oxygen while boiling? just My 2

I may be wrong but, I read and article in byo that said boiling does not remove 100% of the oxygen. Therefore couldn't it be possible to stir in additional oxygen while boiling? just My 2

Very hard to do. The very reason we heat boiler water in new systems is to remove the oxygen from the water..... That is why air bleeders are installed. As the water heats the oxygen gets released. If this did not happen it would rust out the cast iron.

Just put cold water in a ice cube tray.... They come out cloudy.. Boil water and fill tray they come out clear. No oxygen in the water to make it cloudy.

During fermentation whatever is in the wort will be removed by yeast anyway.

All im saying is that if you cant physically remove 100% simply by boiling. that it could introduce additional oxygen by stirring, that might not have time to come out of solution if done late in they boil.

During fermentation whatever is in the wort will be removed by yeast anyway.[/QUOTE]

Yup

All im saying is that if you cant physically remove 100% simply by boiling. that it could introduce additional oxygen by stirring, that might not have time to come out of solution if done late in they boil.

I am just saying there is nothing to worry about. None. Especially before fermentation.

Back