Brewing extract with lost directions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfyrasng

Reaction score
I was getting all set up to brew some extract that has been laying around for the last few months, and now the directions are no where to be found :mad:. It's Coopers wheat beer, and is supposed to make 6 US gallons. If anybody could post up some decent directions, I'd really appreciate it.

Thoughts so far:

1. Warm up extract in hot water bath.
2. Add to the 6 US gallons (+ 15% for boil off?) in brew pot.
3. Boil for 60 minutes.
4. Bring down to 70-75F
5. Measure SG and transfer to fermenter.
6. Pitch yeast.

TIA

Wayne

Coopers kits don't usually require any boiling, do they? My instructions for Lager and Pale Ale say that you need only dissolve the wort concentrate and fermentables in 2 litres of boiling water, no boiling required , apparently it kills off the hops.

Thanks guys. Wyzazz, I actually read that thread right before I posted this, and just wanted to double check before I start this. Off to make some homebrew :D

Edit - Mrbean just threw a monkey wrench into the whole thing.

Unless you have seperate hops to add to the boil there is no need to boil once the hme (hopped malt extract) is added. Geneally instructions will be to bring a third or so of the water to a boil then add the lme and immidiately remove from the boil.

Thanks again for all the replies. Just found a few more posts on coopers, and it is indeed a no boil (mostly) kit. Plan as follows:

1. Warm up LME in a hot bath.
2. Boil 1 gallon of water, and dissolve DME.
3. Add sugar wort to 5 gallons of cool water in fermenter.
4. Adjust temperature as necessary
5. Measure SG and pitch yeast.
6. Enjoy :D

TIA

Wayne

Back