To brew or not to brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JnJ

Reaction score
Ok, little background, I brewed years ago (Mr. Beer about 10 years) and have read a ton on here, other forums, and John Plamer's book. I am very comfortable with doing my first brew. I got all my equipment yesterday and the next day I really have available to brew is Sunday. I plan to brew two batches. Here is the issue, I have to travel for work on Monday and wont return until Friday. So, if anything goes wrong, I wont be home to deal with it. So, do I go ahead and brew, or wait until I return? I really want everyone to say "no problem, go ahead and brew". I would hate to have to wait an additional week before I can try my brew. :)

I say brew... beer does what is does whether we are there or not. The WORST that will happen is that the yeast will fail to start... who cares, it is sterile and in a sealed vessel, it can wait right? 99% of the time it will start and do everything without our intervention...I say brew!!!!! At least the time will seem to pass faster!

Brewpilot

Cool, 3 votes for "Brew"! I have an additional question, I have wyeast smack packs, do I have to use a starter with these? The package instructions for making a starter say to use DME, my kits (MidWest) came with LME.....
I live in....uh...NM, ya that's it.

You don't need a starter with smack packs, but smack them at least 24 hours before brewing. The only two things that would need your attention in the first five days are bad yeast and good yeast, but it sounds like you're covered.

You'll get home & the ferments will probably be done.

I used a smack pack on my first brew... smacked it about 3 hours before I actually started brewing, took about 2 more hours before I pitch the yeast. When I awoke the next morning (6:30 am - about 12 hours after pitching) it was bubbling away.

david_42 said:
You don't need a starter with smack packs, but smack them at least 24 hours before brewing. The only two things that would need your attention in the first five days are bad yeast and good yeast, but it sounds like you're covered.

You'll get home & the ferments will probably be done.
Cool, thanks. For the 24 hours, I'll assume I leave the yeast at room temp, correct?

JnJ said:
I'm using 6.5 gal buckets for primaries, I plan to just use airlocks.

Then make sure you put them somewhere where there won't be too much damage done if there is a blow out, like maybe a bathtub. Any place where a big puddle of beer won't be a problem. I still need to clean off the ceiling in our kitchen after one batch shot the airlock out of the stopper and it hit the ceiling.

If your making ale, don't even worry about it. 6.5 gallon primaries have enough clearance with ales that you won't need a blowoff. Brew your happy arshe away!!!!!

JnJ said:
Cool, 3 votes for "Brew"! I have an additional question, I have wyeast smack packs, do I have to use a starter with these? The package instructions for making a starter say to use DME, my kits (MidWest) came with LME.....
I live in....uh...NM, ya that's it.

You don't need a starter with the smack packs, especially if your not going to be "guarding the brew". My last batch I smacked it and put on top of a warm home theater amp for about 1 hour and then on top of an inside refidgerator and in 3 hours it was "puffed" up to the max and ready to pitch.

Good luck and welcome back to a great hobby!!!!!:mug:

docbee said:
My last batch I smacked it and put on top of a warm home theater amp for about 1 hour and then on top of an inside refidgerator and in 3 hours it was "puffed" up to the max and ready to pitch.

Mods:

If there is any more mention of "Where I smacked my pack", please move this to the appropriate forum.;) :D

Starters and the smack packs all depends.
  • If ya have the larger 125ml smack packs you dont need a starter but it cant hurt.
  • If you have the smaller 50ml smack packs I would definetly make a starter

. . . and this is from someone who was very anti starter when using smack packs . . . until i got my hands on a 50ml one and it took FOREVER for it to start fermenting for me

Back