Brew night woes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rearview

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

This is my first post, but I've been lurking for a while. *waves*

So, last night after the little ones went to bed, I whipped up my 2nd 5 gallon batch of beer. This was AHS Double Chocolate Stout extract recipe kit with a big bag of grains to steep. (My first batch was a "True Brew" Amber kit... hopped LME and some DME. not complicated at all. Its currently bottled and will be ready to drink soon). I steeped my grains in the kitchen, actually, before taking the pot outside to do my LME additions and boil. I used a 1 gallon paint strainer clipped to the side of the pot for my hops (worked great!). All went well... 3 gallon boil with no boil overs or anything. All was going well until I brought things back inside...

I don't yet have a wort chiller, so into the sink of water the pot went. I added 1 gallon of "drinking water" to my wort that I bought that had been in the freezer for about 2 hours (it was NICE and cold) which brought my temps down to the 130 range. Then, a pot holder that I had used to carry the pot inside fell into my wort. I quickly retrieved it, but I was kicking myself for letting a foreign object just fall in like that. I finished cooling the wort in the cool water/ice bath in my sink (it only took about 20 minutes for my cooling, which I'm pleased with). I topped off to 5 gallons and I stuck my hydrometer into my Star San bucket so I could sanitize it before taking an OG reading. I was letting the excess foam drip off of my hydrometer (over the sink, thankfully... not over my wort) when I dropped it and the stem broke. :(

I'm not too bummed about not getting my OG (it is mostly from extract anyway... the published numbers should be fine), but I really didn't want to buy a new hydrometer. I only used mine twice (OG and FG of the first batch). Anyway, at this point my rehydrated yeast (Munton's premium gold) was looking really good in its little sanitized measuring cup of pre-boiled water, so I pitched it, put some starsan in the airlock and put the lid on around midnight.

It sat in my kitchen overnight (low-mid 70s, though I think my bucket thermometer read high 70s) and went to my neighbor's "cool room" this morning to ferment. I really hope the pot holder didn't put anything too nasty in the wort.

Anyway, I'll try to remember you let you guys know how it all turns out in a few weeks when I bottle it (hopefully)...

<insert clever signature here>

Good luck! It is a bummer about both the hydrometer and pot holder, hopefully the wasn't any bacteria and that you wash your pot holders often enough!

I wouldn't worry too much, though you will read a lot about infection and other problems, in my experience, it's pretty forgiving - best of luck!

It was a pot holder from the kitchen drawer and the wife does tend to wash anything that has even a hint of being dirty. The potholder did appear clean, though it was outside with my for an hour or more while I did my boil.

Dont take hydrometer readings directly from the wort, pull a sample using a turkey baster and a testing tube. I just picked one up for 2.95 from midwest. Then you can sip your sample to see how its coming along

:mug:

In the future you can always bring it back up to a boil for 10 minutes to kill any bacteria.....

This was AHS Double Chocolate Stout extract recipe kit with a big bag of grains to steep.

Sorry to change the subject. but where is this recipe? I want to do a chocolate Stout next, and since i am not ready for all grain (yet), extract is my course. i searched in the recipe database and didnt find mention of AHS.

thanks
jake

man, everybody breaks a hydrometer. it's part of being a homebrewer. you just got it out of the way early. and i really wouldn't sweat the potholder, as long as you got it out quick, it shouldn't be an issue. sounds like it was a fairly smooth brew night actually.

In the future you can always bring it back up to a boil for 10 minutes to kill any bacteria.....

That is a good point that didn't occur to me. I'll remember that one in the future, though cooling more than 3 gallons of wort (I was already up to about 5 at this point) would have taken me forever. I'd already used my cold top off water and probably 10 lbs of ice in my sink. I need a wort chiller...

Dude your fine I've done much worse. Such as using my plastic stirring spoon mistakenly leaving the price sticker on which ended up in my fermentor throughout the whole process before finding it floating in the finished beer. It takes a whole lot to ruin a beer so put that baby aside and enjoy the process. Relax, don't worry.

Dont take hydrometer readings directly from the wort, pull a sample using a turkey baster and a testing tube. I just picked one up for 2.95 from midwest. Then you can sip your sample to see how its coming along

:mug:

I had purchased a wine theif (one my hydrometer fits in) to take samples. It arrived the next day. And now, I have no hydrometer... heh

Back