New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottling & gravity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #1
jmartie13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Bottling & gravity

Working on my first brew. I'm curious about bottling....My beer was in primary for 8 days, it'll be in a secondary for dry hoping for 5 days. When I took a gravity after the primary it was around my target range. Are you just looking for a consistent gravity reading before bottling? would there be any advantage to leaving it in the primary or secondary for longer? I'm thinking this might vary depending on style, this beer is an APA.

Cheers,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones

Recipes 

Liked 1656 Times on 1462 Posts
Likes Given: 1129

FG should be in the target range tested the same 2 days apart. Style doesn't matter. How long it takes to ferment down to FG will vary according to how big it is. I leave it in primary till it hits FG. Then 3-7 days more to clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty,then bottle.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
jmartie13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Awesome, thanks for the input. I was just surprised how quickly it stabilized at the FG.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones

Recipes 

They do sometimes ferment out very quickly when you get everything right process-wise. My quickest ferment was 12 days.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #5
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 481 Times on 407 Posts
Likes Given: 129

If you want a really fast fermentation just keep the temperature in the 90's, check the gravity every day and when you have the same reading 3 days in a row you can bottle or keg. Then open one every day to see if it has carbonated. You might be finished in a little over a week and a half. The beer will taste like s#*t but it will be ready quickly.

Learn about the correct yeast pitching, temperatures, allowing enough time either in primary only, or primary and secondary and have patience. Your beers will be better.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:08 PM   #6
jmartie13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
If you want a really fast fermentation just keep the temperature in the 90's, check the gravity every day and when you have the same reading 3 days in a row you can bottle or keg. Then open one every day to see if it has carbonated. You might be finished in a little over a week and a half. The beer will taste like s#*t but it will be ready quickly.

Learn about the correct yeast pitching, temperatures, allowing enough time either in primary only, or primary and secondary and have patience. Your beers will be better.
I did my research, I kept the yeast at the appropriate temp during primary using bottles of ice. If you keep the carboy at the right temp and after 12 days you have consistent gravity readings....what's the big deal?

Old 02-06-2013, 08:35 PM   #7
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones

Recipes 

Well,that's the thing. With the right ferment temp,& a good amount of yeast,it'll ferment fast & not have all those off flavors.

Quick Reply