Bottling & gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmartie13

Reaction score
Working on my first brew. I'm curious about bottling....My beer was in primary for 8 days, it'll be in a secondary for dry hoping for 5 days. When I took a gravity after the primary it was around my target range. Are you just looking for a consistent gravity reading before bottling? would there be any advantage to leaving it in the primary or secondary for longer? I'm thinking this might vary depending on style, this beer is an APA.

Cheers, :mug:

FG should be in the target range tested the same 2 days apart. Style doesn't matter. How long it takes to ferment down to FG will vary according to how big it is. I leave it in primary till it hits FG. Then 3-7 days more to clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty,then bottle.

Awesome, thanks for the input. I was just surprised how quickly it stabilized at the FG.

They do sometimes ferment out very quickly when you get everything right process-wise. My quickest ferment was 12 days.

If you want a really fast fermentation just keep the temperature in the 90's, check the gravity every day and when you have the same reading 3 days in a row you can bottle or keg. Then open one every day to see if it has carbonated. You might be finished in a little over a week and a half. The beer will taste like s#*t but it will be ready quickly.

Learn about the correct yeast pitching, temperatures, allowing enough time either in primary only, or primary and secondary and have patience. Your beers will be better.

If you want a really fast fermentation just keep the temperature in the 90's, check the gravity every day and when you have the same reading 3 days in a row you can bottle or keg. Then open one every day to see if it has carbonated. You might be finished in a little over a week and a half. The beer will taste like s#*t but it will be ready quickly.

Learn about the correct yeast pitching, temperatures, allowing enough time either in primary only, or primary and secondary and have patience. Your beers will be better.

I did my research, I kept the yeast at the appropriate temp during primary using bottles of ice. If you keep the carboy at the right temp and after 12 days you have consistent gravity readings....what's the big deal?

Back