Bottling Emergency Please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherbhy

Reaction score
I am currently bottling a saison and overestimated the volume of beer I would get. I prepared enough priming sugar for 2.9 volumes @ 5 gallons of beer and wound up with 4 gallons, so my carb level would be around 3.4 volumes. WILL I GET BOTTLE BOMBS?

I have a keg handy and the beer is still in the bottling bucket. Should I just rack it from the bucket to the keg to be safe? or will my bottles be alright?

At 3.4 volumes, I would not expect bottle bombs, assuming you did everything else right. It will be more highly carbonated than you anticipated, but even at that level I'm not sure it's outside of style guidelines.

I think anything under 4 volumes, you should be okay...

Edit: Just to be safe, I wouldn't let the bottles get super-warm.

I agree with hunter_la5. At 2.9 vols for 5 gallons you may be within guidelines still. Saisons are fairly carbonated, most of the ones I've had that is.

It'll be more carbonated than anticipated. After a few weeks or when you think you've reach desired carbonation you can stick the bottles in the fridge to halt any addtional Co2 production.

I am currently bottling a saison and overestimated the volume of beer I would get. I prepared enough priming sugar for 2.9 volumes @ 5 gallons of beer and wound up with 4 gallons, so my carb level would be around 3.4 volumes. WILL I GET BOTTLE BOMBS?

I have a keg handy and the beer is still in the bottling bucket. Should I just rack it from the bucket to the keg to be safe? or will my bottles be alright?

Just curious. If your fermentor was marked at the 5 gallon level how did use lose a gallon of beer going to the bottling bucket.

Bottling after a short primary time and the yeast cake/trub layer was not compacted?

Lol Emergency might have been a strong word. Thanks for all the help guys I went ahead and bottled. Used as many grolsch type and bombers as I could because they're supposedly rated for more co2. I lined a box with a trash bag just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I bottled a Grodziskie at 3.5 volumes a month ago, in regular bottles and haven't had one blow up. yet

they sure are carbonated tho

Just curious. If your fermentor was marked at the 5 gallon level how did use lose a gallon of beer going to the bottling bucket.

Bottling after a short primary time and the yeast cake/trub layer was not compacted?

I am not sure something is fooling me. I'll have to measure the real volume in my bottling bucket because it's one of those "7.9 gallon capacity!" marketed ones and could have the gradations labeled incorrectly. But my fermenter was definitely filled all the way up.

I bottled a Grodziskie at 3.5 volumes a month ago, in regular bottles and haven't had one blow up. yet

they sure are carbonated tho

Drinkable I hope? I had a saison DuPont recently and it was pretty bubbly but also delicious. I never mentioned the beer I brewed it's cottage house saison in the recipes forum.

definitely drinkable.

didn't do so well at club competition, but the guys at my other brew club liked it

just throw them in the fridge once it reaches your desired carb levels to put those yeasties to sleep

I am not sure something is fooling me. I'll have to measure the real volume I my bottling bucket because it's one of those "7.9 gallon capacity!" make the ones and could have the gradations labeled incorrectly. But my fermenter was definitely filled all the way up.

Buckets are notorious for being marked incorrectly. Mark your fermentors and bottling bucket by pouring in a measured volume of water for the 5 gallon mark.

Back