Bottles going from cold to warm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STEVESKI

Reaction score
This may be a newbie question, but I've been searching and can't find an answer. The base to this questions is, does beer go bad after its been in the refrigerator and you remove it so it goes back to room temperature?

The reason I'm asking is because I'd like to give some friends/family some of my brews to try, but I don't want to tell them that they have to let it sit in the fridge for 3 days or so for it to settle out. I'd like to put it in the fridge so it all settles out and then take it out and give to them.

Also, I wouldn't mind doing this to some of my own beers so I can put them in the fridge a few hours before I want to drink them. SWMBO is not fond of the idea of me using up half of the fridge to keep my beer.

It'll be just fine. Repeated drastic swings will eventually ruin it, but a few times is not noticeable, at least not to me.

Heat/warmth cycles don't affect beer as much as many folks think. If you stop and think about the hot/cold cycles that commercial beers go through the distribution chain, from flash pasteurization of many beers, to warehouses and delivery trucks, to store rooms, and shop floors or coolers, to hot cars, and houses and fridges, then you would realize it happens all the time...and the beer tastes fine.

Heat/warmth cycles don't affect beer as much as many folks think. If you stop and think about the hot/cold cycles that commercial beers go through the distribution chain, from flash pasteurization of many beers, to warehouses and delivery trucks, to store rooms, and shop floors or coolers, to hot cars, and houses and fridges, then you would realize it happens all the time...and the beer tastes fine.

That's not what the Coors commercials say!

But seriously, thanks. That is what I was expecting/hoping. Do you have any input on whether it makes sense or not? I like the idea of leaving it in the fridge for a few days so it clears up, but if it goes back to room temperature, does it go back to how it was before? Therefore needing to "clear it up" again? Or could I just toss it in the fridge for a couple hours and it be as clear as it was before it warmed up?

It'll take more than a couple hours in the fridge. Leave'em in there for a week to settle any chill haze & get co2 well into solution. A couple hours won't do it.

Some sediment will reintegrate with the beer when you transport it, so it would still be a good idea to let the beers settle out.

On the other, hand, I had one friend who actually preferred pouring the yeast into the beer!

It'll take more than a couple hours in the fridge. Leave'em in there for a week to settle any chill haze & get co2 well into solution. A couple hours won't do it.

Thanks, but I'm asking if I can put them in the fridge for a week to settle the chill haze and then take them out and leave them out room temperature. Then when I'm ready to drink them, I just chill them real quickly without having to put them back in for days again?

Thanks, but I'm asking if I can put them in the fridge for a week to settle the chill haze and then take them out and leave them out room temperature. Then when I'm ready to drink them, I just chill them real quickly without having to put them back in for days again?

Yes you can do that. Just remember that the precipates in chill haze are very light; much lighter than yeast, and it will go back into solution easier than yeast will with any movement. Once chilled, move the bottles carefully.

Yes you can do that. Just remember that the precipates in chill haze are very light; much lighter than yeast, and it will go back into solution easire than yeast will with any movement. Once chilled, move the bottles carefully.

I can't totally say the chill haze won't get stirred up into solution again,but so far it hasn't when I've shipped beers to other members. Maybe revvy can chime in about the condition of the Burtons I sent him some time ago?...

Latest posts

Back