Bottle carbonation / conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YeastFeast

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is it OK to leave my bottled beer in a 65 degree basement where I bottled it or should I haul it all upstairs where it's more like 72 degrees? Or doesn't it make any difference in the final product?
Thanks!

I personally don't feel like it makes a difference. In my upstairs @ 70f or my 62f closet they all seem to be mostly carbed after 2 weeks and fully carbed by 3-4. Sounds like a good time to do an experiment though. For example... Put two bottles in the basement and the rest upstairs or vice versa. After 2 weeks grab one from the basement and one from upstairs, chill, and compare. Then compare again after 4 weeks.

Keep mine in my basement which is only a degree or two warmer than yours. Depends on the beer as to how long it takes to carb. Agree with others it should have no quality impact on the beer, maybe just a little time on the carbing.

I vaguely remember hearing something on a podcast that a lower bottle conditioning temp provides longer stability of the beer. Can't remember if it was beersmith radio or BN

Lower storage temps are good to preserve the beers flavor till fridge time. But after Carb/conditioning time at 70F or a little more. Lower carb/conditioning temps will take longer too carb up. The 3 week/70F rule is generic to the average gravity beer.

Definitely know about storage temp, but I'm fairly certain they said the same about bottle conditioning

The problem with carbing & conditioning at lower temps is that conditions in the bottles are not the same as in primary. Bottles are a sealed environment. Higher temps will make them carb faster,but lower temps slow this process down or even stall it in the bottles. Unlike primary where it makes cleaner beer,it just slows or stalls in bottles.

Back