Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Best beer I ever made due to 1 variable

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #11
Unibrow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I got the water report for the Deer Park spring water - it's on their website

I'm trying to catalog every brew online so I don't have to keep notes all over the house. Check it out on my blog site below:

http://brewzak.wordpress.com/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #12
Slyko
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 120

OK, OK,

Let me add my 2 cents!

I live in an area which has terrible tasting tap water. I hate it. You can tell when it's simply tap water @ a restaurant & I refuse to drink it. There is no guess work. Good tasting water in our area is a luxury.

Now common sense dictates beer is 99% water. So. If you start with a better product, won't you end up with a much more superior product?

I use a reverse osmosis filter at home but it takes me a whole day before to fill up the 9 gallons for my brewing project the next day. But based on your suggestion, I'll try this bottled water next. Walmart sells a 5 gallon jug for $10. Includes the #2 plastic bottle. I'll never buy another Better Bottle again.

I know, I'm just a overzealous nerd.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #13
Unibrow
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyko View Post
OK, OK,

I use a reverse osmosis filter at home but it takes me a whole day before to fill up the 9 gallons for my brewing project the next day. But based on your suggestion, I'll try this bottled water next. Walmart sells a 5 gallon jug for $10. Includes the #2 plastic bottle. I'll never buy another Better Bottle again.
I usually buy 6 gallons to end up with 5 gallons in the bucket from the boil off. And just check to make sure if you're getting spring or distilled, cause there is a difference between the two.

My method has been mash/boil with mostly spring and top off with distilled.

I'm trying to catalog every brew online so I don't have to keep notes all over the house. Check it out on my blog site below:

Old 08-13-2012, 08:20 PM   #14
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4913 Times on 3563 Posts
Likes Given: 988

I found that my water is great for stouts, but all of my other beers were not as great as they could be. I got a water report, then starting diluting my tap water with RO water.

The RO water worked so great that I finally bought my own RO system!

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 08-13-2012, 08:24 PM   #15
Unibrow
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I found that my water is great for stouts, but all of my other beers were not as great as they could be. I got a water report, then starting diluting my tap water with RO water.

The RO water worked so great that I finally bought my own RO system!
That's weird because I'm the exact opposite - my water does wonders with light beers...but anytime I tried to make a darker beer (even with minimal amounts of roasted barley or dark malts) it was always below average, and sometimes even straight up bad.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #16
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4913 Times on 3563 Posts
Likes Given: 988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unibrow View Post
That's weird because I'm the exact opposite - my water does wonders with light beers...but anytime I tried to make a darker beer (even with minimal amounts of roasted barley or dark malts) it was always below average, and sometimes even straight up bad.
I have alkaline water, with lots of bicarbonate. That's why my kolsch with my tap water is harsh, while my oatmeal stout is fantastic. By getting a water profile, now I'm able to mix my tap water with RO (or use all of one or the other, depending on what I'm making) and get the perfect mash pH.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 08-13-2012, 08:33 PM   #17
logdrum
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 31

If you can get out to White House Springs, you can get 10 gal (self fill) for a buck. They'll mail you a very detailed water report as well. Cleveland water is quite alkaline, but has been historically cited as good for amber/dark beers, not so much for lighter. I'm just beginning to delve the water minutiae, acidifying my sparge water is my next trial. Cleveland water must be OK, I'm sure Great Lakes doesn't buy their water.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #18
KISS Brew
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyko View Post
Walmart sells a 5 gallon jug for $10. Includes the #2 plastic bottle. I'll never buy another Better Bottle again.
As long as it's really #2 plastic. Some of these water bottles are made of different plastic that's suitable for water and not much else.

Bottled:
Hoptoberfest IPA, Oktoberfest Ale, Blonde Ale, Scottish Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Edwort's Apfelwein, Janet's Brown Ale, Irish Red Ale, Strawberry Wheat, ESB, Belgian Pale Ale

KISS Brew Homebrewing Blog

Most recent post: Beyond the Pale Ale Recipe

Old 08-13-2012, 09:24 PM   #19
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2261 Times on 1969 Posts
Likes Given: 1698

Quote:
Originally Posted by logdrum View Post
If you can get out to White House Springs, you can get 10 gal (self fill) for a buck. They'll mail you a very detailed water report as well. Cleveland water is quite alkaline, but has been historically cited as good for amber/dark beers, not so much for lighter. I'm just beginning to delve the water minutiae, acidifying my sparge water is my next trial. Cleveland water must be OK, I'm sure Great Lakes doesn't buy their water.
Well,this makes me wonder what water I should use for my 1st partial mash kit I have lying in waiting? I'd like to get this cascade pale ale kit to come out great with this PM experiment.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #20
silvery37
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I have very hard water and do the same thing. I use half distilled and half spring water. I do partial mashes and mash with the spring water and then add the distilled water to the boil. It does add a little money to the overall cost but considering what I have in equipment and the time and wait for a brew to be done I dont mind spending the extra 6 dollars.

Quick Reply