Belgian Tripel Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munchkin

Reaction score
I bottled this beer after about a week of cold crashing. Using corn sugar I racked the beer into a carboy, mixing the priming sugar. I then bottled into 650ml bottles. I left the capped bottles warm up over night to room temp, then rotated each bottle several times and put them away at room temp.

Here is my concern, I have had issues in the past with bottles not carbonating after cold crashing using carb tablets. I believe the sugar/yeast did not mix well when i bottled cold, and after 3 weeks I had no carbonation. I rotated bottles and let them sit for another 2 weeks, problem solved!

I opened one of the belgian tripels after 2 weeks with little to no carbonation. Now I realize I may need to wait week/months to get this beer fully carbed, Im just worried that after a month or two it still wont have proper carbonation. Is it recommended to rotate the bottles weekly or biweekly to keep the yeast suspended to ensure proper carbonation? Or do I just leave it alone? I suppose I just need some reassurance.

Just leave it alone. Took my triple a month to carb up fully. I didn't cold crash it first, but I think you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

By rotate, do you mean you invert them or give them a little shake to resuspend the yeast?
That has been my procedure for a couple years now. I do it after 1 week, and maybe again at 2 weeks. I figure it can't hurt, might help, so why not?

By cold crashing your are dropping your yeast out of suspension. With this it will take a lot longer to carbonate using priming sugar since the yeast use the sugar to carbonate the beer. Ya warming the bottles back up will help. I wouldn't rotate or shake the bottles because you will have O2 in the head space of the bottle. Doing that will increase oxidation in the beer. Best to just let them sit. :)

Cheers!
John

I brew almost exclusively Belgians. The higher OG ones usually take 6-12 weeks to carb up. My latest Bière de Garde is just now carbed, and I brewed in January. Be patient ;)

By rotate, do you mean you invert them or give them a little shake to resuspend the yeast?
That has been my procedure for a couple years now. I do it after 1 week, and maybe again at 2 weeks. I figure it can't hurt, might help, so why not?

This is exactly what i mean, I wont mix them until they are back up to room temp and the carb tab (if using those) are dissolved.

By cold crashing your are dropping your yeast out of suspension. With this it will take a lot longer to carbonate using priming sugar since the yeast use the sugar to carbonate the beer. Ya warming the bottles back up will help. I wouldn't rotate or shake the bottles because you will have O2 in the head space of the bottle. Doing that will increase oxidation in the beer. Best to just let them sit. :)

Cheers!
John

Is the small amount of head space that much of a concern once its been bottled?

Seems that some rotate their bottles and some dont. Id just hate to see the beer not carbed after 6 weeks knowing all i had to do was rotate each bottle every 2 weeks.

Latest posts

Back