Bass Ale/English Pale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattLeBeer

Reaction score
I'm trying to get a solid recipe for a slightly more flavorful Bass Ale. Pretty new to brewing. I want this to beer to be a beer that's very palatable for everyone. I figured a Bass clone is a fairly good starting point. I like the caramel qualities it has, but also the overall style. Any tips or links would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, guys!

P.S. I like my beer bitter, but not fruity. The PA's that have citrus qualities never really jumped out at me.

How about Old Speckled Hen?

I bought some Lyle's Golden Syrup to make something similar, though I changed up the hop schedule a little, as well as my version is slightly different.

Try looking through the recipe database. Likely someone has made something similar enough.

I did a Bass for my first AG recipe too, i used this one fromBYO (there is an extract version too)
I used Mangrove Jacks Burton Union yeast, came out great.
has been a a few years since I had an actual Bass though.

Tasting notes suggest more bittering hops, and lower ferment temp would help reduce fruity flavours.

Last edited:
There is a recipe in the recipe forum section called English Pale Ale. It is an extract recipe and is super easy and very good tasting. Very similar to Bass. I moved to All Grain but brew this one about once a month.

This is my Bass clone that I have fine tuned over the last 2 years and now is my Haus Ale.
8# Maris Otter
1.5# Flaked Corn
8oz Cr60L
10 oz Honey Malt [25 SRM]
2oz. Roasted barley [300 SRM]
1oz Northern Brewer 9.9% @ 60
0.50 Oz cascade 7.1% @ 30
0.50 Oz cascade 7.1% @ 15
Nottingham yeast

This is my Bass clone that I have fine tuned over the last 2 years and now is my Haus Ale.
8# Maris Otter
1.5# Flaked Corn
8oz Cr60L
Nottingham yeast

Brewkinger,

This looks interesting.

I assume this is a five gallon batch?

Also, mash temp and length?

Thank You,
Cody

Brewkinger,

This looks interesting.

I assume this is a five gallon batch?

Also, mash temp and length?

Thank You,
Cody

Actually works out to 5.5 gallon batch with my system.
Mash temp 152 for 60 mins.

I also tend to keep the fermentation Temps down to 57-60 degrees when I use Notty. It can get tricky at times and seem like it stalls, but the neutral characteristics of the yeast really let the grain and hops be the hero.

8# Maris Otter
1.5# Flaked Corn
8oz Cr60L
Nottingham yeast
What is the Northern brewer 1oz exactly

Back