Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bad taste, bottling day

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2010, 11:28 PM   #1
jderm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Bad taste, bottling day

Bottled today. As the bottling bucket was filling the last bottle, i took a sip. It tasted great a week ago, then today it was awful, hard to describe. Just murky, like pond water almost. I'm hoping it was only because it was towards the bottom of the bucket. Possible protein and crud left over from the cold break maybe?

The conditioning period would have to be nothing short of miraculous to clean up this mess.

I guess my question is, "Is it likely because it was the bottom of the bucket, or is this beer ruined?"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2010, 01:16 AM   #2
marubozo
I can has homebrew?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5371 Times on 5229 Posts
Likes Given: 222

It's too hard to tell at this point. It's really hard to judge a beer when it's warm, flat, and when you may be getting a lot of unsettled particles in your sample. The good news is you have already bottled it so there's nothing to lose but waiting for time to pass. Chances are when it's carbed and cold it will taste a lot better than the sample you tried.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:54 AM   #3
DrinkinSurfer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
It's too hard to tell at this point. It's really hard to judge a beer when it's warm, flat, and when you may be getting a lot of unsettled particles in your sample. The good news is you have already bottled it so there's nothing to lose but waiting for time to pass. Chances are when it's carbed and cold it will taste a lot better than the sample you tried.
+1 to this. I, for example, just sipped off a hydro sample of my most recent brew. It is at 7.3% and tasted thin, yeasty, and bitter beyond all recognition. After I chilled the sample, and a LOT of yeast fell out of suspension and it was delicious. Moral of the story is: carb it up, chill it, and of course relax don't worry enjoy etc.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
MetallHed
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 44

when I bottled my weiss beer, I didn't have enough left to fill the last bottle, so I poured it in a glass and started to drink it... tasted awful. left my mouth so dry it lasted for hours..

now i drink it after being in the bottle for four weeks... tastes great. dont sweat it until it's been in the bottle for at least three weeks and in the fridge for one week.

My Fermentation Chiller Steel Horse Brew Labels

Quick Reply