Bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
I brewed what was supposed to be a honey blonde about 7 weeks ago. Bottling day was supposed to be the 25th of last month, but family was in town then and I ended up putting off and then forgetting about it.

I opened the lid of 1 of the buckets (split in two 3 gal batches) and noticed an oily looking residue on the surface and bubbles. That didn't scare me too badly. But then I stuck my nose in the bucket to take a whiff. Wow! It nearly burned my lungs and had a strange alcoholy mixed with toxic smell.

Should I try siphoning below this or dump it?

It didn't turn out right at all so I don't have much resolve to keep it anyway. The ABV was supposed to be in the low 5% and the IBU's ~15, but the ABV was well over 6% and so I kept adding water. It's doubtful that it's all that good. Probably tastes similar to some light beer...

1 bucket looks worse than the other, but both smell the same.

I forgot to mention that it sat in primary that whole time.
I've decided to just bottle the one that doesn't look as bad just to say I tried...
I won't be harvesting that yeast!

well, it could have just been CO2 that burned the lungs, but the 'toxic' smell wouldn't be explained by that, nor would the oily residue. grand things can happen in the bottle.. i'd probably rack below and give it the old college try. i know people say you can't judge a final beer on the way the primary ferment/non carbonated/young version tastes, but IMHO, you can get a pretty good idea if it's gonna suck or not. so, maybe give it a taste test just to see if you can find some obvious flaws and go from there.

I agree with the burning being from co2. the bad smell though, i got nothing. bottle one and see what it gets ya.

If the oily residue looks like motor oil on wet pavement,that's just hop oils floating to the surface. But if it looks white,big bubbles & slimy with webs connecting bubbles,it's a lacto infection. White & puffy looking,it's bret.

I was wondering about it being pure CO2 as well. It kinda has a slight sour smell, but it seems a little common. In one bucket there is some white liquify stuff on the top that doesn't seem so present in the other.
I don't have high hopes for this beer.
I'll try the better half though...

It's kinda in the middle. In one it looks like puddles of oily white stuff. In the other it's nearly everywhere with bubbles about 1/4" in diameter and even more white.
I waved the lid and that steal your breath stuff is gone. I'm guessing CO2.

I am finally using the lid from MoreBeer with it's large hole needing a stopper, and since the air lock wasn't active (I know, I know, but all of mine have shown activity) I pulled it to look inside. Active. Then I smelled it... That same take your breath away kind of nearly burning your lungs ordeal. Obviously the CO2.

Back