Austin Homebrew Saisons -- Any Experience?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nytimez

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the Austin Homebrew saison kits? I'd like to brew one later this month (a saison so I don't have to worry about high summer temps) -- but am having a hard time picking one. If anyone has tried one of these kits, can you share the experience -- and, more importantly, the results?

They have some interesting ones, like a lavender and a hibiscus ginger... but I am leaning towards the AHS Session Series or one of the more traditional ones.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks... and thanks to all for help on my earlier threads, I just tried a bottle of my first batch (after only 10 days -- still green, but pretty tasty) and also just bottled my second batch (Calif. Common cuz the guy at my LHBS says that's also a good beer to ferment in hot weather), can't wait to try it and looking forward to my next brew.

Forget the kit, venture out on your own and create your own simple recipe (check the recipe section). Get a decent yeast and off you go. Keep it simple; a little crystal (very little), and Light extract (I'm assuming you are an extract brewer - Pilsner prefered), for a gravity of around 1.055, and a Saison yeast, fermented around 75 F. Suggest WLP 550 or Wyeast 3711.

Hops: About 7 AAs for bittering, and some light additions of Saaz or Goldings for flavor and aroma. Again, check out the recipes.

Forget the kit, venture out on your own and create your own simple recipe (check the recipe section). Get a decent yeast and off you go. Keep it simple; a little crystal (very little), and Light extract (I'm assuming you are an extract brewer - Pilsner prefered), for a gravity of around 1.055, and a Saison yeast, fermented around 75 F. Suggest WLP 550 or Wyeast 3711.

Hops: About 7 AAs for bittering, and some light additions of Saaz or Goldings for flavor and aroma. Again, check out the recipes.

Yeah, I was thinking about doing something like that, not sure if I'm ready to "cut the cord" from kits just yet, but maybe I am.

I think I need something closer to the Wyeast 3724 though -- it looks like that ferments in the 80-degree weather we've been having.

Yeah, I was thinking about doing something like that, not sure if I'm ready to "cut the cord" from kits just yet, but maybe I am.

I think I need something closer to the Wyeast 3724 though -- it looks like that ferments in the 80-degree weather we've been having.

Won't 80f be a bit on the warm side? I just bought an ahb summer saison kit and live in hot Dallas so was looking for something friendly to higher temps also but I was thinking maybe max of 75f? What do other people think?

Won't 80f be a bit on the warm side? I just bought an ahb summer saison kit and live in hot Dallas so was looking for something friendly to higher temps also but I was thinking maybe max of 75f? What do other people think?

The Wyeast site says 3724 can go up to 95 degrees -- but Wyeast and some of the threads I've read here say this yeast can suddenly "stop" for a while.

But maybe this is a better choice:

Wyeast 3711 is heavenly fermented in the 80's.

That's not part of the temp range on the Wyeast site (which lists it as 65-77F), but I'll take an experienced brewer's opinion over the "official" specs. If it's that good in the 80s, maybe I'll go with that...

Still haven't decided, though -- not planning to brew again until closer to the end of the month. I'm going away for a few weeks in mid-Aug, would love to bottle something before I leave so it's close-ish to ready when I get back.

Back