Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Any advice on putting fruit in a wheat ale?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2008, 05:13 AM   #1
tehmaxshell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Any advice on putting fruit in a wheat ale?

My roommate and I are considering putting some sort of fruit or maybe honey to a wheat ale we're about to brew. We're not sure when, nor how much to add. We essentially know nothing. Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2008, 05:30 AM   #2
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

usually fruit is added in secondary. When its done primary fermentation then you rack onto fruit. What were you thinking of adding? i would recomend something like oregon fruit purees because fresh fruit can be a pain. You should use a campden tablet (potassium metasulphite) to prevent wild yeast problems

Old 11-20-2008, 06:09 AM   #3
tehmaxshell
Recipes 

We were thinking maybe some blackberries. Thanks for the advice.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:00 AM   #4
fishnfever
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scinerd3000 View Post
usually fruit is added in secondary. When its done primary fermentation then you rack onto fruit. What were you thinking of adding? i would recomend something like oregon fruit purees because fresh fruit can be a pain. You should use a campden tablet (potassium metasulphite) to prevent wild yeast problems
Wouldn't that kill the yeast in the wheat beer as well? Even after fermentation was done, how would you carb if it was bottled?

Old 11-20-2008, 11:27 AM   #5
Eves
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I made a raspberry wheat a few months ago. I never use a secondary so I just put the fruit at the bottom of the fermentor and then poured the wort on top of it. Aside from the fast that I screwed up the priming sugar and had practically no carbonation the beer turned out well. It had quite a kick to it so I know that fermentation occurred. In addition it had a decent raspberry taste (as far as barely carbonated beer goes that is).

I had done a little reading on adding fruit to beers and normally the fruit is added in the secondary. And most seem like to use 3+ lbs of fruit. Now I thought that was way too much fruit so I just went with 1 lbs of frozen berries. I had planned on blending the berries some so I thawed them. However, when they thawed they were pretty mashed up so I just threw them in the fermentor. After a few days in the fermentor I could see what looked like cherrios floating in my semi-transparent fermentor. I was a little disturbed by it but assumed that the beer has just sucked all of the color out of the few remaining berries (which is exactly what happened). I just wish I hadn't screwed up the priming sugar...it would have been a great beer.

Anyways, when I add fruit to a beer again, and I am positive I will, I will most likely just follow the same procedure of pouring the wort on top of the fruit in the primary.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:46 AM   #6
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just did a peach wheat. After primary fermentation I racked it onto a can of peach puree, then kegged. In the keg I added a 5oz bottle of peach flavoring. Since I keg I was able to chill and carb before adding the flavoring, and I added it little by little to make sure I wasn't over-doing it. It's pretty darn good now.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 11-20-2008, 12:36 PM   #7
Lost Pirate
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehmaxshell View Post
My roommate and I are considering putting some sort of fruit or maybe honey to a wheat ale we're about to brew. We're not sure when, nor how much to add. We essentially know nothing. Any thoughts?
I've added honey to several different beers and I've always added it with 15min. left in the boil and I uaually use 2lbs. As far as fruit goes, I've only done 2 fruit beers and used 5lbs of fruit in both and I added it to the secondary.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:01 PM   #8
sampson420
Recipes 

Ive heard that this stuff is the best.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:08 PM   #9
bashe
Recipes 

I made a strawberry wheat a while back. I added 1# to the boil and then 3# to secondary. After three weeks in the bottle it had a nice balanced strawberry taste. I opened one the other night, 4 or 5 months in the bottle, and the strawberry taste was almost gone. The beer was real popular with the ladies and I will probably make it again but add more fruit.

Coming Up: Westvleteren 12 clone, Oktoberfast, SWMBO Slayer
Projects: Fermentation Chamber
Beer Blog

Old 11-20-2008, 01:29 PM   #10
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

My current drinking beer is a cherry wheat made with cherry extract.

It's going fast, so I plan on another batch soon. For that one, I am going to use either fresh/frozen cherries, cherry juice, or both. Maybe some frozen sour cherries and some sweet cherry juice to balance it out.

Wheat beers should be drank young, and yeast is part of the taste, so I am not sure about racking to secondary. I may just mix and puree the fruit and juice, heat it to 170* (no higher or you get astringency issues), cool it and dump it into the primary after two weeks. Let it sit a week or so, then rack to keg.

If you use blackberries, you probably won't have tartness issues. They are pretty sweet, but you still might want to add a little malto-dextrin to counter what tartness there is.

Quick Reply