Aluminum Stock Pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moski

Reaction score
I see everyone talking about stainless but I havn't found out why no one uses Aluminum. Is there some reaction with the metal or leaching problem?

People DO use aluminum pots/kettles... Look at the 'Similar Threads' links at the bottom of this page. There's even a sticky in the Equipment/Sanitation section...

BTW, next time, at least do a quick search on the site. There's only about 500(+) posts with "aluminum" in them... :eek:

Wow, way to go. Alienate the new guy in the 'beginners' thread. Nice.

This is only my second post and already I'm going off the place quite rapidly.

Wow, way to go. Alienate the new guy in the 'beginners' thread. Nice.

This is only my second post and already I'm going off the place quite rapidly.

What??? It's generally considered good form to at least search for something BEFORE posting. Especially for beginners. Especially with something that common that has A STICKY THREAD about it. Plus, there's tons of threads already going over this to death.

That is what Golddiggie said. You're acting like he called the newbie a bunch of names or something. lol

My $0.02, plenty of people use aluminium because it's cheaper and distributes heat more evenly than stainless steel. Also, most turkey fryer setups that people use are aluminium. If you do use aluminium, just make sure to boil a full pot of water in it first to create a protective layer.

Golddiggie wasn't offensive in the least. It IS proper forum ettiquet to do a search on forums. Forums have been around for a long time. But some just don't know. So a nudge in the right direction is the way to do it.

As to the topic... I've brewed probably 3/4th of all the beer I brew in a 8 gallon aluminum brew pot. I have yet to have any problems with it.

Gary

There was no need for the sarcasm, especially from somebody with >9k posts in a beginners thread. As an even newer newbie here myself it doesn't exactly make for an attractive welcome.

And just to add my own 2p worth... I deliberately sought out an aluminium pot because of its heat conducting properties. As mentioned above, boil a batch of water first to form a protective oxide layer.

The downside, since I've decided to go for miniBIAB, is the heat conducting properties. Maintaining mash temperature can be challenging. I've only done one brew so far and after five days in the fermenter it's tasting excellent, so I got lucky, but as time goes on I think I'll investigate better forms of temperature control.

To awnser the question yes aluminum is ok you just need to boil water in it to create an oxidation layer that protects your beer from off flavors, Generally just boiling a full pot of water in it and letting it boil down works well enough.

FWIW i have stainless and alluminum and usually use alluminm as its the bigger of my pots and seems to heat quicker and imo better.

If anyone feels alienated please feel free to visit the 1 gallon brewers unite thread, we mind our manners in there as it is in the beginners brewing section.

and remember "The only stupid question is one not asked, giving an incorrect result."

I brew all of my beer in a 24K gold pot....but thats just cause I am awesome! Ha!

Seriously though,.....I do stainless....Aluminum tends to develop some oxidation on surface.....bothers me with respect to brewing.......but, I dont think it is a issue though as lots of guys brew with aluminum with no problem....more psychological than anything I think.:D

If stainless steel is in your budget go for it......if not, Al will be fine.

jakeperks said:
There was no need for the sarcasm, especially from somebody with >9k posts in a beginners thread. As an even newer newbie here myself it doesn't exactly make for an attractive welcome.

Hmmm....Out of curiosity, how old are you? I'm guessing we have another generational gap I grew up in a "we don't keep score because everyone's a winner "thread.

And just to add my own 2p worth... I deliberately sought out an aluminium pot because of its heat conducting properties. As mentioned above, boil a batch of water first to form a protective oxide layer.

The downside, since I've decided to go for miniBIAB, is the heat conducting properties. Maintaining mash temperature can be challenging. I've only done one brew so far and after five days in the fermenter it's tasting excellent, so I got lucky, but as time goes on I think I'll investigate better forms of temperature control.

Insulation is the key for BIAB. I wrap my pot in a bath towel and that keeps the temperature pretty stable. BIAB has another advantage that helps in that we can crush or grind out grains much finer since we don't need the husk intact to form the filter bed as we use a fine weave clothe for that purpose. With the grains crushed or ground fine, conversion occurs quickly so if we do lose some heat the conversion is already over. Check your mash. When you mash in the wort will be cloudy with the starches but in about 15 minutes you'll find it to be mostly clear because there is very little starch left.

If you are looking for bling, SS is always nice but as others have mentioned aluminum has its advantages. Light weight, even heat distribution, less expensive. I used an aluminum 8 gallon pot as a brew kettle for a long time. When I decided to make larger batches and convert a keg to a brew kettle the old aluminum pot became my HLT. If I'd of stayed with 5.5gallon batches I'd still be using the al pot for a brew pot no worries.

Cheers!

sfrisby said:
Hmmm....Out of curiosity, how old are you? I'm guessing we have another generational gap I grew up in a "we don't keep score because everyone's a winner "thread.

Old enough, thank you. Old enough to recall getting excited to see some brand new movie called Star Wars when it was first released.

RM-MN said:
Insulation is the key for BIAB. I wrap my pot in a bath towel and that keeps the temperature pretty stable. BIAB has another advantage that helps in that we can crush or grind out grains much finer since we don't need the husk intact to form the filter bed as we use a fine weave clothe for that purpose. With the grains crushed or ground fine, conversion occurs quickly so if we do lose some heat the conversion is already over. Check your mash. When you mash in the wort will be cloudy with the starches but in about 15 minutes you'll find it to be mostly clear because there is very little starch left.

To my surprise, the temperature didn't wander too far from the intended temperature during the entire mashing period. A couple of injections of heat combined with gentle, careful stirring helped with that.

Anyway, I digress. Aluminium, that was the question. Another advantage is cost, especially for a new brewer, such as myself, who's already had a hard job convincing SWMBO that brewing is a great use of time and kitchen resource.

I grew up in a "we don't keep score because everyone's a winner.... "

In other words the "I think I'm entitled to everything without doing the slightest bit of work for it, because I got a ribbon for just showing up. And because Mommy hovered over me constantly telling me how important I was, and not teaching me about failure and doing things on my own." group. ;)

Wow. I just asked the question because in Flyguys stickie, yes i read it, there were also guys who took him to task as biased because he admitted he used aluminum. I was kinda looking for a consensus on actual its use vs stainless. Sorry to tick anyone off forcing them to read my stupid, aparently oft repeated question.

Wow. I just asked the question because in Flyguys stickie, yes i read it, there were also guys who took him to task as biased because he admitted he used aluminum. I was kinda looking for a consensus on actual its use vs stainless. Sorry to tick anyone off forcing them to read my stupid, aparently oft repeated question.

I may be in the minority here but I don't think the intention of your question was stupid at all. If people get ticked off or offended by your question then that is their issue. If they choose to respond in a negative manner of scolding you instead or just pointing out there is another thread that may answer your question then that is beyond your control.

I see nothing wrong with wanting to know more about brewing and the equipment. There are times I have read many reviews on certain things but I still want to ask people on the forum their opinions because I have a better chance for being more specific in what I want to know.

And for my opinion (as stated earlier) I use both ss and al and have had very good success with both materials for brew pots/kettles.

Golddiggie said:
What??? It's generally considered good form to at least search for something BEFORE posting. Especially for beginners. Especially with something that common that has A STICKY THREAD about it. Plus, there's tons of threads already going over this to death.

It took me several months before learning about the stickies and searching threads that sometimes show up because they contain the keyword but don't actually have any relation to your actual question is pointless... if someone asks a question that has already been answered 28465729 times so the heck what!! Don't answer or even read the thread... or maybe since there are always new people on here just be nice and answer... i hate when people say "search" for your answer. This is a site that people share knowledge not say sorry i'm too busy to answer your question but not too busy to give a snide "do a search" comment.

this happens when a forum gets up there in age. the older / founding members get tired of talking about the same old crap day in and day out. it happens a lot with cigar forums (which i frequent). it's important to understand both sides because they see the same questions from newbies every week or so and after a couple of years it gets lame. at the same time to forum exists to build knowledge and community. By telling every newbie that comes in here to search through 1000's of threads before asking a question isn't exactly building community relations or helping the spread of knowledge. just my 2 cents, i hope this doesn't get me banned already. :(

Aha! Temperature control for the mash! totally different question. I like Al and brew in a bag, and I'm a noob. I have had difficulties maintaining the mash temp. Totally uninsulated was very difficult. Wrapped in terry towels was only a tiny bit better, it lost 10F over 30 min.

A BIAB forum suggested a heavy quilt or an old winter jacket, check the temp about every 20 min, and add a bit of heat as needed. I have yet to test this.

The only problem with Al is copper connected to it. Bad idea to keep a copper or brass ball valve or pipe continuously connected - you get galvanic reaction and the Al corrodes in favor of the copper. Easily remedied - don't store the copper wort chiller in the Al pot, and use SS bulkhead connections.

who's already had a hard job convincing SWMBO that brewing is a great use of time and kitchen resource.
Fortunately, many SOs just assume their spouse is far, far, round the twist and they are the zookeep, er, caretaker.

What's up with the "hating" on this thread? I'm proud to be a member of HBT but never want to be considered a member who acts like an arse to a new homebrewer's questions! No matter how many times I've heard them before..

If I ever get to the point where I walk on wort and can give the exact SG by sense of touch I still wouldnt knock a guy down for asking me how, let alone tell him to do a search. Searching works sometimes but if you're not familiar with what you want to ask it can be difficult to get the correct answer let alone decipher the many different answers.

This forum is filled with many very successful people who are moving into the homebrew hobby. It's a hobby not an occupation. Give a new brewer a hard time here just because they didn't search first? Dont do that. There is no need to and it helps nobody.

OP asked a simple question and maybe it has been asked many times before, discussed, debated and beat to a pulp. So what? Pretty sure the OP wasn't around for those discussions. To some people the question is old news. Get over it! New brewers ask the same freaking ones we all did at one point in our hobby.

If you are tired of being asked the same question there is a simple solution - Don't respond!

One or two things get under my skin. Treating new homebrewers badly is at the top.

rant over

Forgive me for being ignorant but I always thought the purpose of forums was to exchange ideas, ask questions an just in general become a member of an "online community" of folks with similar interests, etc. Seems to me that as long as this forum has been around, just about every question that could have been asked or every subject has more or likely already been brought up. If new folks (some may not be as Internet savvy as others) are supposed to read through the thousands of posts before bothering the more experienced with their amateur questions, then why don't they just close the forum for posting and post instructions to read all the old posts,? Heaven forbid somebody bring up a subject that has already bee discussed. <sarcasm off>.

I disagree. I'm still new here, but it's common sense to search for an answer these days before asking the same question over and over. I'm betting that 99% of new people joined here after searching Google multiple times for answers to their home brew questions, so is it really farfetched to ask the same people to search? If such repetitive threads are kept to a minimum, the more unique threads will get more of the attention they deserve.

metanoia said:
I disagree. I'm still new here, but it's common sense to search for an answer these days before asking the same question over and over. I'm betting that 99% of new people joined here after searching Google multiple times for answers to their home brew questions, so is it really farfetched to ask the same people to search? If such repetitive threads are kept to a minimum, the more unique threads will get more of the attention they deserve.

I agree to an extent, but the point was that it isn't a reason to dispense with politeness and civility.

At the same time I slightly disagree, because sometimes old topics need a makeover, especially if there have been changes in attitudes, opinion, methods, etc. in the meantime. Also, old topics tend to drift and go off topic easily, so finding what you're looking for in a thread containing hundreds of posts can sometimes be futile. That's a general observation and isn't aimed at any topics or even forums in particular, whether it's brewing, photography, flower arranging or flamingo breeding.

It's funny to finally run across a thread like this. You guys are very mature here,,,,,,go over to http://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/ and ask about chaps, fingerless gloves, which is the best oil, which are the best pipes, etc, etc, etc, and you'll get flamed big time. Yeah it does get old when a FNG asks about, what are the best riding boots, I just ignore them or give an answer to the best of my knowledge, because we all know there are no "best riding" boots. What is the best aluminum pot?

PackerfaninSanDiego said:
What is the best aluminum pot?

The biggest one you can get that fits in the kitchen sink for cooling :-D Imagine taking your shiny new pot, full of hot wort, off the stove, carrying it over to the sink and going "oh crap"! Only applies to stove top brewers who haven't yet invested in an immersion chiller, of course.

The biggest one you can get that fits in the kitchen sink for cooling :-D Imagine taking your shiny new pot, full of hot wort, off the stove, carrying it over to the sink and going "oh crap"! Only applies to stove top brewers who haven't yet invested in an immersion chiller, of course.

sarcasm from me jake

PackerfaninSanDiego said:
sarcasm from me jake

Yeah, I know ;-) But I thought I'd use it to recount the tale of how I *nearly* made a massive, fundamental schoolboy equipment error.

Latest posts

Back